620 score....is this goood enough?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

620 score....is this goood enough?

by Taiten3 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:09 pm
A little help please. Took the GMAT for the second time and improved to 620 (42Q and 34V). Should I take the GMAT a third time or start concentrating on my applications? A little background information on myself:

-Applying for the Class of 2014.
-African American and Korean descent
-3.14 GPA from West Point
-Currently in the military (UH60 Blackhawk pilot) with 7 yrs exp.
-Deployed twice to Iraq, served as a platoon leader, company commander, and task force deputy commander.

I am planning to apply to Dartmouth, Duke, UVA, and Cornell. I intend to apply through the Consortium for all the schools except Duke. So is my 620 good enough to get accepted?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:28 pm
620 is going to be tough at those target schools. Do a little research and look at recent class profiles and you'll see that only 10% of those school's classes are below 660/650. Aiming to be in that 10% crowd isn't a desirable spot to be in.

Also, being a military applicant won't offset a 620 as much as you think, because once your application hits the admissions desk, you'll be compared against other military officers, and it's important to make yourself stand out amongst that pool.

I know you don't want to hear this, but you got to take it again. I got a 700 on my third try. I highly recommend Total GMAT Math...it should only take about 3-4 weeks to go through that book cover to cover studying about 1-1.5 hours a day during the week and 2-3 hrs on a Saturday and Sunday. My previous attempts were 660 and 610. After using Total GMAT Math my breakdown was 49Q 35V - good enough for a 700.

Best of luck.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:2 members

by ronaldramlan » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:42 pm
Taiten3 wrote:A little help please. Took the GMAT for the second time and improved to 620 (42Q and 34V). Should I take the GMAT a third time or start concentrating on my applications? A little background information on myself:

-Applying for the Class of 2014.
-African American and Korean descent
-3.14 GPA from West Point
-Currently in the military (UH60 Blackhawk pilot) with 7 yrs exp.
-Deployed twice to Iraq, served as a platoon leader, company commander, and task force deputy commander.

I am planning to apply to Dartmouth, Duke, UVA, and Cornell. I intend to apply through the Consortium for all the schools except Duke. So is my 620 good enough to get accepted?
Hi,

I know exactly the person you should contact, Richard Battle Baxter. You can read his blog here : https://money9111.blocked/?m=1

You'll find that you and he share a lot of common attributes. For one thing, he also applied through the Consortium and finally got admission at Cornell. In addition, you'll also find him resourceful and helpful as he's always happy to help fellow applicants.
Last edited by ronaldramlan on Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by akhilsuhag » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:21 am
Dude the score is immaterial. Make a super awesome application. Yes a better score would do no bad but people with low scores also get accepted. But if you are planning for 2014 you have time to improve. Abetter score will make your app irresistible.

I hope you get above 650 and crack the best MBA programs.

Akhil
Please press "thanks" if you think my post has helped you.. Cheers!!