610 -> 560 -> 700: Third Time's the Charm

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

610 -> 560 -> 700: Third Time's the Charm

by MBALA2009 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:07 pm
I've had quite the experience with my GMAT and wanted to share it with those who might be struggling with it because lord knows that I have!

I took the GMAT for my third time this past Saturday and scored a 700 (Q44, V42).

By way of background, I'm a practicing corporate lawyer in one of Canada's largest corporate law firms. Working hours are pretty brutal, which is one of the reasons I wanted to apply to bschool, and this meant that one of my biggest challenges was finding the time to study. Below is a breakdown of what I went through:

1) May 3, 2008 - 610
One of the reasons I became a lawyer is because of my strong aversion to math. Math was always hard for me. So in light of this, along with the fact that it's been over 10 years since I did any math, decided to take a prep course. I decided on Kaplan. Others might feel differently, but I wasn't a big fan: i) found the curriculum too jammed, and felt it tried to cover too much per class; ii) the Kaplan CATs were not indicative of the real thing; and iii) you really had to spend time on the 'homework' which contained many concepts not covered in class. Felt there was a disconnect between the class and homework; if one went to just the classes and took the GMAT thinking one would be fine, would have been in for a very unpleasant surprise.
Aside from Kaplan did a couple GMATPREP tests. Going in for the test I knew my math was still shaky, however my strategy was that I would try and answer the "easy" questions, a couple of "medium" questions and try and get by on the strength of my verbal. Big mistake! I found all the math questions hard and scored a pathetic 24th percentile or something along those lines. Verbal was average at 89th percentile. Decided to retake...

2) September 2, 2008 - 560
Basically I focused just on the math. Heard good things about the "GMAT Math Bible" by Jeff Sackmann so bought that. It actually helped a lot; it does a good job of covering each math concept. For those struggling with math I would recommend it. Along with the Math Bible focused just on the OG and took the GMATPREP Test countless times (completely ignored Kaplan). Oh and it was also during this time that I came across this forum. I actually remember wishing I had found it prior to my first attempt.
Quick comment on GMATPREP, even though I did the whole "install/uninstall" exercise, I found I got a lot of the same questions, which unfortunately instilled a false sense of confidence. All my practice exams were over 700. Therefore went in thinking I would destroy the GMAT, and even while I was taking it felt I was doing well... until I got my score: 560 (Q35, V33). I was so shocked I started to laugh. At this point I pretty much decided to give up my MBA dreams. The fact that I felt so good taking it this time with the end result being worse than last time suggested to me that this wasn't in the cards.
However several of my friends urged me to take it one last time. I reluctantly did, and signed up to take it again...

3) October 4, 2008 - 700
In light of the last results had to focus on both math and verbal. For verbal, found that SCs were my downfall, and as many on this forum extoll the wonders of Manhattan's SC materials, got my hands on those. Highly recommend it! Even though I deal with words as a lawyer everyday, the Manhattan SC was extremely helpful in breaking down every concept. Before I would tackle SCs just by ear more or less, but after reading Manhattan SC, had a mental list of things to look for.
Didn't do any more GMATPREP tests, as I think I pretty much exhausted the question bank, but did find a number of helpful materials on www.esnips.com (search GMAT) and practiced on those.
My attitude this time was much different, borderline laissez-faire, wasn't expecting anything, just wanted to go through with it so I would never have to think about this again.
When I was taking the test this time, I actually felt much worse than try #2. Again found the math quite hard, and had to guess the last 5 or so questions. Verbal was great, the SCs were quite a breeze thanks to Manhattan SC. Was actually expecting a score similar to the last one... and was shocked to see 700 (Q44, V42). Actually made the last 10 months worth it!

Clearly there are many talented people who have a natural aptitude for GMAT but at the same time, there are others, like myself for whom it is a struggle. To those, I hope after reading about my ordeal, it will encourage you not to let go of your MBA dreams quite yet and fight a little longer.

Thank you to this forum, it was invaluable in my preparation. Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Brett B » Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:04 pm
thanks, great post - i know i can use the inspiration. congrats on sticking with it and getting a great score!

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 6:26 pm
Congratulations ! you did it !

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by smclean23 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:27 am
Exactly what I've been waiting for. I took my 2nd test and did better than my first but not where I need to. What specific math and verbal problems did you find on esnips that were useful for you?

Thanks so much for this post. Lord only knows I needed this post....

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by vanesslondon » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:33 am
Thanks so much for this - it is truly inspiring! I am a fellow lawyer and feel the same way about math (and hours in big corporate law firms!). I'm about to take the test for the first time and would love to know more about how you upped your math score.
Again, thanks so much and good luck with yuor applications - you have done so so well!

by GMATCHPOINT » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:38 pm
Congrats! Excellent post!

by chase4meg » Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:44 am
Congrats! Way to go!

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:53 am
congrats!!

could you outline which files/posts on esnips you found useful?

thanks

Legendary Member

by niraj_a » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:51 am
bump