600 V37 Q34 -- Thanks for all the help -- Seeking advice

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Hi all,

Preface
After working on the GMAT for a few months with the help of this forum and others I sat down for the test. It is an OK score as I don't usually do well on standardized tests, but I was definitely hoping for better.

Resources
OG 11th edition
GMAT Supplement Math OG version
Kaplan 800

My study program
I started with Kaplan 800 which wasn't the best way to start. The sentence correction is great, however. I then ran through the OG and Math supplement. I did practice upon practice tests. Starting out in the lows 600s but gaining ground into the high 600s/low 700s -- though some of these included repeats(GMAT Prep). I never felt like I truely understood some of the stuff from the HS days 0-- number properties, etc. Being a CFA Charterholder, I think all the material I learned pushed out all that early stuff from HS. :-D

Test Day
I was rested and such, but I got a bit flustered on the Math. I definitely started out slow and ended kind of badly. I was good on time in the beginning...then took much time in the middle (though I think I answered many in a row) and then roughed it out at the end. Didn't seem to have enough time to really tackle the last few. The verbal went ok...was hoping for a better score but not too much of an issue overall. AWAs were great.

What to do now?
Do I take it again? I am looking to go to NYU Stern part-time. I know the low GMAT inst ideal, but I do have a strong profile otherwise. See below:

GMAT 600
Undergrad: Cornell University Graduated with Magna Cum Laude Honors
Overall GPA 3.5 Magna Cum Laude Honors was attained as I had about GPA 3.75 for the last two years
Experience: 6 years experience 5 at a mid sized fin serve firm with great progression in the investment mgmt field. Now a PM for a major asst mgmt firm(1 year). Work directly with clients/prospects and very high level.
Recommendations: I'm sure will be strong
Essays: Think I can make them pretty good
Extracurricular: Strong with volunteer work through Alma mater and charity organizations(leadership as well in those)
CFA Charterholder

Thanks again for reading my post. Please provide any advice on my situation. I appreciate your time and input.

PS - A big thanks to all in the forum. This forum rocks!!

by jasonc » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:37 pm
I would consider taking it again if you can. Did you figure out your weak points?
With a good study regiment it shouldn't be hard to raise your score to the high 600s
I beat the GMAT! 760 (Q49/V44)

by vinviper1 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:57 am
Well I know got flustered a bit in the middle of the exam. I know the num props threw me. And those DS with if y>0 type questions do not come easy to me. Any ideas of how to shore up these weaknesses?

Thanks.