590 in GMAT :(

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

590 in GMAT :(

by jeril842002 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:45 am
Hi All,
After a lot of hard work put in, I finally messed up my GMAT.

QA - 49
Verbal 22
Essay 5.5
Total 590

I know with this score, I cannot make it to the ivy league.
But with my 3+ years of experience in IT, can I still manage to get admission to a decent B-School in US?

Any advice will be appreciated.

P.S : I have 8.79 / 10 GPA from one of the prestigious universities in India (NIT Calicut)

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:2 members

by Paxton Helms - Kaplan » Mon May 18, 2009 12:57 pm
Well...your GMAT isn't great, to be sure, but it seems to me that if you messed it up then you can probably go back and get it right, no?

A 22 on your verbal is pretty low and suggests that you either didn't finish, rushed, or didn't understand / anticipate certain question types. It seems like a candid and honest evaluation of your approach to to the test and why you did so poorly on the verbal is in order. That may point a way forward in terms of studying, prep, etc.

Finally, it is probably worth mentioning that a low verbal score is a whole lot better than a low quant score!!

Paxton
Keep me in the loop about your thinking and let me know if you have any more questions.

Paxton

Paxton Helms is an MBA admissions consultant for Kaplan Admissions Consulting. He earned his MBA from UCLA and specializes in helping clients that are applying to top twenty and "reach" programs. He can be reached directly at [email protected].

To begin working with Paxton immediately, follow this link and request him specifically: https://www.kaptest.com/GMAT/Admissions- ... lting.html