580 GMAT score-keep it? or get re-take?

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

580 GMAT score-keep it? or get re-take?

by Dianars » Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:12 pm
I just took the gmat (today actually) and scored a 580.
My goal was a 600 (low standards; i am horrible at diagnostic tests!)

I am applying to part-time programs in DC (GW, GEORGETOWN) and have a very high GPA, great resume, etc...

how much does the GMAT play into the admissions program? should i retake it i.e. i dont stand a chance?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
GMAT Score:750

by jon82 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:06 pm
I think it's hard for an outsider to make this call without more info. How long have you worked and in what capacity? (ie, 4 yrs Financial Analyst for Fortune 50? 8 yrs Sales for boutique trading company?) What is your GPA? What was your major? What calliber school did you attend? (ie, Top 20? Top 100?)

You say you have a great Resume, and I'm sure you do, but since we can't see it (and it is subjective whereas the only objective criteria we have to go on is a low GMAT for GW/Georgetown PT), we'll probably need more info. The GMAT is only one aspect of the process, so a low number would never rule you out, but you will need to make up for it in a bunch of other areas. Good work experience and ECs are a great way to start. Let us know so we can better help you and we will do our best.

What is the median GMAT for those programs, BTW?

by Dianars » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:10 am
Thank you for the reply!

I completed my undergraduate degree at the School of Business at the George Washington University on January 1, 2008. I graduated a semester early magne cum laude with a 3.71. I earned a BBA with a concentration in marketing and a minor in psychology. I was a presidential scholar and a national collegiate scholar.
By Fall 2010, I would have approximately 3 years of professional experience. I worked full-time my last year as an undergraduate as the marketing manager of a small start-up company; managed the tactical marketing side and monitored an intern. I Currently work as a an Account Executive for The Travelers Companies in the exec liability division, focusing on financial analysis and marketing.

The part-time GW program average GMAT is 570
The part-time G-town program average is 630

GMAT Score:750

by jon82 » Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:53 am
That all sounds good and I'd say you have a decent chance with good essays, letters and interviews. My experience is mainly with FT programs, but the biggest concern I have is your length of work experience. Generally, adcoms 'count' only your full time postgrad work experience so it looks like you'd have around 2 yrs at the time of application and close to 3 by matriculation. That's on the low end but reasonable if you make a good case about quality of experience. It also looks like you're going for 3rd round, which is tougher - especially for Georgetown which typically gets lots of apps from Rd 2 Wharton rejects. Or so I've heard.

If you want to increase your chances, wait until Rd 1 next year and see if you can boost the GMAT to 600+. If not, I am still impressed with your background and hopefully the adcom will be, too.

J

by Dianars » Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:09 am
Jon,

Thanks for reply.
For the part-time program for Georgetown, there were two rounds; January 15th and April 15th.

What do you think my chances are at GW?

I am actually retaking the GMAT on April 10th so hopefully I can improve my score to above 600 for Georgetown; i love their program!

Followed by:1 members

by RHINO » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:35 pm
I think the average GMAT score for Georgetowns part time program is 667, not 630.

by jk2010 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:44 pm
Have you looked at American University (Kogod)?