520 to +700...NEED HELP!

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:760

520 to +700...NEED HELP!

by Layman24 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:52 am
Hello,

This is my first time posting to the forum as I recently took my second full-length MGMAT CAT and was disappointed with the results. I've read some inspiring stories on this forum about individuals similar to myself (math isn't a strong suit and they had a similar diagnostic score/split) who ended up with a 700+ score and I am hopeful to mimic their success.

A little background on me might be helpful:

- I'm ~7 years removed from undergrad.
- My goal is to achieve a 700+ score (w/ min Q of 45-47) to maximize my odds of gaining admittance to a top EMBA program (Wharton, Booth, Kellogg). I want to stay with my current employer post-MBA.
- I wouldn't say math is my strong suit but I managed a 3.7 GPA as an Economics student in undergrad and am a CFA Charterholder. In addition, I work in finance so am generally dealing with numbers each day at work.
- I started studying full-time (1-2 hrs. / weekday and 4-6 hours each weekend day) about 4 months ago (Dec. of '16). Given my Q was far weaker than my V score on the initial CAT I've been focused on improving Q exclusively. I started with Foundations of Math (~1 month) and then worked my way through all of the Manhattan Q Strategy Books. After completing the books I took only the Q section of a MGMAT CAT and saw nice improvement but still not where I needed to be.
- I then purchased Magoosh (about 5 weeks ago) at the suggestion of a friend and found that I picked up additional tricks/tips that I didn't get from the Manhattan Q strategy books. I'm currently about 1 month into Magoosh's 3 month Q focused study plan.
- Today I took my second full length MGMAT CAT and am feeling defeated as my quant raw score dropped by 3 points from the prior Q only exam.

Mock Exams To Date:

MGMAT CAT #1: 520 (28Q / 34V)
MGMAT CAT #2: Quant section only (39Q)
MGMAT CAT #3: 600 (36Q / 36V)...ran out of time on last 5-6 Q questions.

In short, I'm hoping for specific guidance on how to proceed from here. In total, I've been studying for about 4 months (+230 hours) and am prepared to do whatever it takes to achieve the score I need but I'm starting to wonder if it's possible...

Thank you!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:06 am
Hi Layman24,

To start, taking an isolated Quant section (without completing the FULL CAT - including the Essay and IR sections) is NOT a realistic way to measure your skills. As such, assuming that you took the other two CATs in full (and in a realistic fashion), it's more appropriate to compare the 600 to the 520; and those scores show progress/improvement on your part.

The Quant section of the GMAT is NOT a 'math test' - it's a 'critical thinking test' that involves lots of little calculations, so you don't need any type of advanced math background to perform at a high level in that section of the GMAT - but you do need to be strategic about how you deal with that section and you need to limit the number of silly/little mistakes that you make. If you've truly been studying consistently for 4 months, then there might be some inefficiencies in how you've been studying.

1) When are you planning to apply to these EMBA Programs?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Layman24 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:14 am
Hi Rich,

Thank you for taking an interest in my cause :-)

I did take both CATs in full (and in realistic fashion), so would agree that they're more comparable. I'm certain there are inefficiencies in how I'm studying and would be happy to entertain alternative methods.

There's really no official timer on when I plan to apply. Ideally, I'd like to apply in Jan/Feb of '18.

Thanks again!

by Layman24 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:42 am
Rich,

I spent some more time reflecting on my CAT from yesterday and thought I'd share my observations with you. I believe taking more full length mock exams would help me to build endurance as well as an internal clock on quant so I don't spend inordinate amounts of time on single questions (I spent +16 minutes on 4 different questions and only got 2/4 correct). Some additional Q and V observations listed below:

Q:
- Timing issues stemming from my lack of mastery of the fundamentals and ability to gauge whether or not I can answer the question within 2 minutes were the primary culprits. For most of the Q section my %tile score was ranging between 50% - 60%. It wasn't until about 2/3 of the way through that I realized timing was going to be an issue so I panicked and started to rush through the remaining questions (making many silly mistakes along the way). Despite my efforts to expedite, I still didn't have time to answer the remaining 3-5 questions. In short, had I been able to answer low-mid level questions more quickly and recognize and skip the hardest questions, I think I could score in the 45 range.

Your Q scores appear to be pretty strong. Have you always been strong in this area or was it something you worked on? If the latter, do you have any suggestions on the best way to address the issues I listed above?

V:
While 36 is a good starting point, I think I can get this up to +40 with some studying. My clear strength is CR, followed by RC. The obvious outlier is SC:
CR: 79% correct
RC: 75% correct
SC: 40% correct

Do you have any thoughts on the best way to improve SC? I have the MGMAT SC Strategy Guide and plan to review as I continue my Q studying but happy to consider an alternative route as well.

Thanks for the thoughts!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:00 am
Hi Layman24,

Since you're not facing an immediate deadline, you have the opportunity to proceed with your studies in whichever way you like. It could be that the current materials that you have will be enough to help you hit your score goal; however, it's possible that they won't. It would help if you provided some analysis about your most recent CAT performance. 'Review' should be a big part of any proper study plan and while there are a number of different ways to keep an Error Log/Mistake Tracker, here are some basic questions you should look to answer after you take every CAT:

After reviewing each section, how many questions did you get wrong....
1) Because of a silly/little mistake?
2) Because there was some math/verbal that you just could not remember how to do?
3) Because the question was too hard?
4) Because you were low on time and had to guess?

The answers to those questions will help to define what you should be working on.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:36 am
- Today I took my second full length MGMAT CAT and am feeling defeated as my quant raw score dropped by 3 points from the prior Q only exam.
Cardinal rule #1 when studying for the GMAT: Do not read too much into any single result! It's often the case that a test-taker will master several new skills between exams, attempt questions he wouldn't have attempted on the previous test, and so have to recalibrate his time-allocation strategy. Or it's possible that one test hits you hard in categories A, B, and C. After working to improve in those areas, the subsequent test bombards you with questions in categories X, Y, and Z, and thus the progress in the newly mastered categories isn't reflected in this newer score. This is all to say that preparing for the GMAT has two broad components: 1) mastering skills and 2) learning to apply those skills with a time constraint. This is why progress is rarely linear. So first, break down the tests you've taken and make notes to yourself regarding strategic adjustments you can make before the next exam. Next, spend some time brushing up on any categories that proved problematic on those tests. Then gear up to take another exam and repeat the process. It takes several iterations of this before most test-takers begin to see the kind of progress they hope to achieve.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

by Layman24 » Mon May 29, 2017 10:14 am
I thought I'd give a quick update since my last post. Recall, my last CAT (MGMAT CAT #3) left me feeling defeated as I had completed 2 popular (and lengthy) prep courses and I wasn't generating acceptable results (particularly in Quant). After doing some additional research, I subscribed to the Target Test Prep platform about 1.5-2 months ago. I'm currently on module 15 of the course (or about 50% of the way through) and I'm already sensing great things to come (as evidenced by my most recent CAT - MGMAT #4). While demanding, the course has helped me to build terrific muscle memory around the topics I've covered thus far. I'm hopeful that the second half of the course goes as well as the first and I can report an even higher mock exam in the months to come.

Mock Exams To Date (updated):
MGMAT CAT #4: 650 (42Q / 37V)

Thanks for the support!

by Layman24 » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:22 am
Hi Everyone!

I have a quick update and question...

Update:

I'm 85% of the way through Target Test Prep's material and took another mock exam this past weekend. As you can see below, my Q score increased again (Woo!). Unfortunately, it only increased by 2 points, and my V score declined by 2 points. I'm not too concerned with the fact that my 650 score didn't increase...yet, which brings me to my question.

MGMAT CAT #5: 650 (44Q / 35V)

Question:

Due to some major life events on the horizon I'm forced to take the GMAT exam in late August (fortunately, I can pick it back up in late October if my score is less than 700). So, with that in mind, how would you guys recommend I use these last ~6 weeks of preparation time? I should be done with Target Test Prep materials in ~2 weeks, so that leaves another ~4 weeks of capacity for general study / mock exams. My plan is as follows:

Week 6 - TTP Materials
Week 5 - Finish TTP Materials
Week 4 - Mock 1 / General Q review and SC practice (SC is by far weakest V section)
Week 3 - Mock 2 / General Q review and SC practice
Week 2 - Mock 3 / General Q review and SC practice
Week 1 - Mock 4 / General Q review and SC practice
Week 0 - Test Day!!

Does this sound like a formula for success (success = > 700)?

Legendary Member
Followed by:128 members
GMAT Score:770

by DavidG@VeritasPrep » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:40 am
Layman24 wrote:Hi Everyone!

I have a quick update and question...

Update:

I'm 85% of the way through Target Test Prep's material and took another mock exam this past weekend. As you can see below, my Q score increased again (Woo!). Unfortunately, it only increased by 2 points, and my V score declined by 2 points. I'm not too concerned with the fact that my 650 score didn't increase...yet, which brings me to my question.

Question:

Due to some major life events on the horizon I'm forced to take the GMAT exam in late August (fortunately, I can pick it back up in late October if my score is less than 700). So, with that in mind, how would you guys recommend I use these last ~6 weeks of preparation time? I should be done with Target Test Prep materials in ~2 weeks, so that leaves another ~4 weeks of capacity for general study / mock exams. My plan is as follows:

Week 6 - TTP Materials
Week 4 - Mock 1 / General Q review and SC practice (SC is by far weakest V section)
Week 0 - Test Day!!

Two suggestions:

1) Make sure that some of those practice tests are official ones from mba.com
2) Always come up with 4-5 actionable takeaways after reviewing an exam

Keep us posted...
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:247 members

by ceilidh.erickson » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:10 am
Layman24 wrote: Due to some major life events on the horizon I'm forced to take the GMAT exam in late August (fortunately, I can pick it back up in late October if my score is less than 700). So, with that in mind, how would you guys recommend I use these last ~6 weeks of preparation time? I should be done with Target Test Prep materials in ~2 weeks, so that leaves another ~4 weeks of capacity for general study / mock exams. My plan is as follows:

Week 6 - TTP Materials
Week 0 - Test Day!!

It's hard to tell if this is a formula for success without knowing how you're planning to review. Reviewing is the most important part of the process! "General Q review" doesn't really tell us much.

Here's what you need to be doing:

- Keep a detailed Error Log / Review Log of every mistake you've made: https://www.manhattanprep.com/gmat/blog ... -studying/

- Look for patterns in your mistakes. What traps are you falling for over and over? Think about how to mitigate those.

- Develop a clear sense of your strengths and weaknesses - both by topic and by question structure.

- Create a Review Sheet for every topic, including rules tested, iteration you've seen, and traps you've fallen for.

- Have a specific timing strategy. Make sure you never run out of time!

To get a 650, you need to know the material well. To get a 700+, you need to need to know yourself well - what strategies work best for you, and how do you maximize your strengths and minimize your weaknesses? https://www.beatthegmat.com/the-differen ... tml#560794
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education

by Layman24 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:37 am
Hello again,
I thought I'd give another brief update as I near ~3 weeks until my actual exam. I took another Manhattan CAT this weekend and generated interesting results:
MGMAT CAT #6: 700 (40Q / 45V) - ran out of time on last 5-6 Q questions

While I'm absolutely thrilled that I scored a 700, the breakout between Q & V has me a bit confused. My big takeaways are as follows:

Q:
I feel I've mastered most all of the content, but I still haven't mastered timing. I need to improve on knowing when to skip questions to save time for other questions I know I can answer quickly and correctly. This plagued my most recent quant score as I didn't have adequate time to complete the final 6 questions. I'm hopeful that I'll improve this skill set through targeted practice over the coming weeks. Any suggestions here?

V:
After a good review of Manhattan's SC guide, I think I'm finally starting to see SC questions more holistically (87% correct on this exam compared to ~50% in prior exams!). That being said, what do you guys think about the jump? How does Manhattan's V compare to the actual GMAT? My next 3 mocks over the coming 3 weeks will be from mba.com (GMATPrep), so it'll be interesting to compare.

My plan:
Week 3 - Mock 7 (GMATPrep) - Quant timing and continued SC practice
Week 2 - Mock 8 (GMATPrep) - Quant timing and continued SC practice
Week 1 - Mock 9 (GMATPrep) - Quant timing and continued SC practice
Week 0 - Test Day!!

Thanks for any help/tips!

by Layman24 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:59 am
Friends,
I took my first GMAT Prep mock today and was pleasantly surprised with the results. The Quant section was FAR easier than Manhattan's Quant section. I didn't run long on any questions and even finished with 2 minutes to spare! I'm feeling really good about my looming test day...just don't want to lose the magic I've got going!

MGMAT CAT #6: 700 (40Q / 45V) - ran out of time on last 5-6 Q questions
GMAT Prep #7: 760 (49Q / 44V)

My plan:
Week 2 - Mock 8 (GMATPrep) - Quant timing and continued SC practice
Week 1 - Mock 9 (GMATPrep) - Quant timing and continued SC practice
Week 0 - Test Day!!

Does anyone have tips on how to avoid burn-out but also maintain elevated performance?