510 to 660 to 700 (Q48 V 38)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Followed by:3 members

510 to 660 to 700 (Q48 V 38)

by hallie530 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:45 pm
Oh, I have been waiting to write this post!

A little about me - mid 20s female with undergraduate degree in environmental science from a small liberal arts college. I currently work in development at an educational non-profit. In other words, I have never taken a business or economics class, and before today, I have never been a good test taker (my SAT scores were so low, I applied to a college that didn't even require them!).

My GMAT adventure:
I began studying November 2010. I signed up to take a Princeton Review course in November/December and devoted my entire Christmas holiday to studying as much as I possible could. My first practice test was a 510, and I couldn't seem to break out of the 500s for the entire duration of my Princeton Review class. My teacher recommended that I need to take a ton of tests (I was having trouble with timing) and that I diligently review every wrong answer.

So over my Christmas holiday, I took about 7 GMAT practice tests (I generally skipped the writing section). It was after taking this many tests that I finally got my score into the 600s. When I took my first real GMAT test the first week in January, I scored a 660 (Q 45 V 35). I was ecstatic to achieve such a competitive score (there was a period there when I didn't think I could break 600), but I realized I was close to that 700 goal. I was emotionally drained from all that studying (and work was too chaotic), so I put the books aside and forgot about the GMAT until April.

I did two things in my second round of studying that were really helpful. First, I took an online class with Princeton Review (you can do this for free if you take a class). I didn't follow the homework syllabus at all, but used the class to listen to a teacher and to ask a TON of questions. Second, I went through every problem in the OG12 book. I started with my favorite section (problem solving) and then began going through the rest of the book. I would do between 15-20 questions a night, slowly chipping away. Once I did every question in the book, I went back through and attempted every problem I had gotten wrong a second time. For problems I still got wrong, I pulled all resources available to understand the problem completely. If I ever got discouraged, I went back and tried some easier problems.

All in all, I took a TON of online tests. I found I scored the lowest with Princeton Review but I thought the Manhattan GMAT tests were more difficult (ironically, the Manhattan GMAT tests were the only practice tests where I broke 700). I liked taking the GMATPrep tests because they looked so similar, but I never got above a 640. I also took a Newton test and a Kaplan test, but very early in my studying. In regards to other material, I really stuck with the OG12 through and through; I also purchased ManhattanGMAT tests online (pack of 5) and took all of those twice. I had a lot of books passed down to me from friends (Kaplan Advanced Prep, Princeton Review Manual, Manhattan GMAT sentence correction, Veritas Prep advanced math), but I found myself feeling spread out a little to thin. Stick with one book and study it cover to cover.

Some other things I learned along the way:
1. They make you take your watch off during the test. This was a problem for me, since I had practiced with my watch. Don't do that!
2. Don't forget to take deep breaths and do some stretching/jumps during your breaks (I did mine when no one was looking).
3. Smile and thank every person that works in your testing center. This was great for me. It made me feel more relaxed, the testing people liked me, and we were all jumping for joy together when I walked out with my 700.
4. When you reach the point where you feel fired up to take the GMAT, you're ready. After my 660, I wanted nothing to do with the GMAT. But this past month of studying took me to a whole new level... I was actually excited to understand problems. I finally figured out "the game" of the GMAT.

Hope this helps! If I can achieve 700, then anyone can. Just put in the time and don't give up.

Legendary Member
Followed by:123 members
GMAT Score:750

by cans » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:03 pm
Congrats for your awesome score :)
And the post is really helpful :)
If my post helped you- let me know by pushing the thanks button ;)

Contact me about long distance tutoring!
[email protected]

Cans!!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by dv2020 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:22 am
Congratulations its a really inspiring post ...:)

Followed by:28 members

by sivaelectric » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:44 am
Thanks for the inspiration :)
If I am wrong correct me :), If my post helped let me know by clicking the Thanks button ;).

Chitra Sivasankar Arunagiri

Followed by:2 members

by g.shankaran » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:00 am
Congratulations !!

by anirudh88 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:34 am
congrats on ur score and for the inspiring post

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by rjank » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:47 pm
Congrats!! Very inspiring, I particularly enjoy reading the strategies of people who are weaker on quant than verbal (like me). If you have any particular timing tips, please let me know. I also have timing issues.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Prashant Ranjan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:01 am
Very motivational and inspiring. Sometimes when we despair the most, that is the time to test our hard work.

Prashant
Want to Beat the GMAT!!!

by nathy » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:24 pm
Such an inspirational piece of note.. good one.

by khilkhil » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:58 am
superb post! truly touching and inspirational :)

GMAT Score:650

by unforgiven47 » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:46 am
nice one...

heard somewhere...people dont fail..they just give up......
your hardwork paid..!!

Followed by:1 members

by ikaplan » Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:04 am
hallie530,

I am smiling and performing 'petty' jumps under my office desk ;) This was definitely a unique advice- I haven't read it in any other debrief before.

Thanks!
"Commitment is more than just wishing for the right conditions. Commitment is working with what you have."