3 yrs,4 attempts-Finally 740:The story of my metamorphosis

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:33 pm
zivi wrote:Wow,I have to tell you that after reading this, I just burst into tears! I have been going about in circles ever since 2009 when I decided to give the GMAT and scored a measly 540. I was nowhere competent to get a 700+ score! Not well read or even adept at calculations ( I am one of those people who maintain a neat column in my page, just for calculations :lol: ) The thought of mental math just gives me the creepies :) And I keep fantasizing about a 750 plus score..\
Reading your post just showed me how stupid I was..Thank you so much for this. You've opened my eyes.
Am glad that my story was able to rejuvenate you and gave you hope.
A question: My work life like yours, is really hectic and once I get back from work, I am too tired to motivate myself to study. Do you have any suggestions? I've just bought a Red Bull 4 pack btw..
By what time do you return from work ?If I know that, then probably I could suggest you something.

by eternal_optimist » Wed Sep 07, 2011 11:38 pm
kishorekadam wrote:Great inspirational story..

Tell me where have u applied for MBA?
Does multilple attempts affects your profile in admission process?
I'll be applying to schools in this session. Multiple attempts don't affect your profile IF you don't make substantial improvement in your attempts. Since I was able to make a good jump on my last attempt, so the Adcoms shouldn't view it negatively(that's what the feedback I have got from one of the school representatives I met at an MBA fair recently)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:720

by zivi » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:17 am
@ Eternal

Well I'm pulling off 9-10 hour work days now. I spend about 3 hours a day commuting. I'm not able to read much because of the bumpy ride. But even on days when I get a good 5-6 hours to myself, I am not organized. I try to pack in everything- facebook, exercise, other household stuff..The end result is I'm too tired to sit and study. I just want to be more organized and get more out of my time. What would you suggest?

by eternal_optimist » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:23 pm
zivi wrote:@ Eternal

Well I'm pulling off 9-10 hour work days now. I spend about 3 hours a day commuting. I'm not able to read much because of the bumpy ride. But even on days when I get a good 5-6 hours to myself, I am not organized. I try to pack in everything- facebook, exercise, other household stuff..The end result is I'm too tired to sit and study. I just want to be more organized and get more out of my time. What would you suggest?
The first thing you can do is that you set a target for yourself. 1 hour in the morning and 1 hour in the evening. If you study for just one hour in the evening, you wouldn't feel it to be a burden. The second thing I'd advise you to do is to reduce the frequency with which you go to the gym. I know that sounds atrocious but that's something which you'll able to do. You may go to the gym 1-2 days in a week but beyond that it's gonna be an obstruction in your preparation.I know stopping the gym for sometime may seem hard since I also hit the gym everyday and know the pangs of guilt which eat you up if you don't go regularly but tell yourself that you can always do it once you're done with the GMAT.

Secondly, give a pause to social networking for sometime. Remember that 10 years back when there was no Facebook, people were still happy, satisfied, so we can surely be happy even without FB. Visiting it once a day is fine but more than that is sheer waste of time. You'll see one very common characteristic in the people who are on FB. People who don't have anything to do or don't have any big goals are the most active there. On the contrary, people who read, have a lot of interesting things going on their life will be least active simply because they don't feel the need.

Think over what I have said and let me know if you're able to implement this.
Last edited by eternal_optimist on Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members
GMAT Score:690

by gmatjeet » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:33 am
@ Eternal: You sure turned it around...wishing you all the success in applications.

I would like some suggestions from you because i also am going through similar phase right now.

I took GMAT for the first time in April '2011 and scored 650 ( Q 48, V 32, AWA 5.5). Based on my discussions with friends , i decided to give it another shot so as to increase my chances of being selected.

My analysis at that time was:
1) Score is not bad. But becase i belong to the Indian IT MALE category, the
competition is much more than in any normal category.
2) With a total experience of 8+ yrs (spread across IT, Business, Sales,
Client relationship management), including 4 yrs of international work, this
score should be good enough.
3) For giving more security to selection in top colleges, it is better to
score 700+.

After brushing up my concepts and reviewing, i retook GMAT on Thursday and i was in for a surprise package.Actually surprise would be an understatement because i did horrible.
My new score was: 610 ( Q 47, V 27). I was very scared since last week that my score should not go down. This made me very jittery at the start and my confidence crashed. I could not attempts 1 Q in Quant and 2 Q's in verbal. I am not sure about what to do next and i have some major questions infront of me. In the last 6 months, i took multiple practice tests and scored 690-730 consistently. If you could help me in answering the below queries, it would be really helpful.

1) Should i retake GMAT?
2) If i retake, what should i do to ensure that i can get my score 700+?
3) In case i do retake and score around 700+, how will the admission panels view multiple attempts?

Regards
Gmatjeet

by eternal_optimist » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:44 pm
gmatjeet wrote: 1) Should i retake GMAT?
2) If i retake, what should i do to ensure that i can get my score 700+?
3) In case i do retake and score around 700+, how will the admission panels view multiple attempts?

Regards
Gmatjeet
1. Frankly speaking,with your kind of experience, the schools wouldn't be too much bothered about your GMAT score. The only problem I see is that the schools may have concern regarding your Verbal score. I think that if you're able to prepare a great application package and you're able to highlight your career progression, international experience, cross functional.

2. Since you said that you were already scoring between 700 and 730 on your practice CATs, you YOURSELF should ask yourself how were you doing that ?I think that ,like me, what happened with you is that you got under pressure on the actual test because of which you couldn't attempt the last few questions. I'd highly suggest that you take 2 hours today or tomorrow,sit in a room,close the door, switch off your mobile and laptop and JUST THINK. Yes, you just visualize that what went that wrong that you landed up with a 27 on Verbal. Figure out and write it down what you feel and trust me at the end of 2 hours, you'll have the answer.
3. The admission panels don't view multiple attempts negatively until and unless that number is not beyond 4-5. In fact, a lot of Indian candidates take the GMAT twice or thrice,so don't worry,they won't hold it against you if you take the GMAT a third time.

by AbhiJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:15 am
eternal_optimist wrote:You'll see one very common characteristic in the people who are on FB. People who don't have anything to do or don't have any big goals are the most active there. On the contrary, people who read, have a lot of interesting things going on their life will be least active simply because they don't feel the need.
Eternal Optimists, I couldnot agree more about your comments of people on FB. The kind of videos and pictures people are putting these days is just pure crap and shows the intellectual hollowness of people.

Also answering the original question, Zivi you need to prioritise the important things in life.
Gym, Social Activities, Facebook, Calling Friends for Hrs can take a halt till GMAT. The pursuit of pleasure is what stops a human from achieving full potential.

by AbhiJ » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:17 am
eternal_optimist wrote:You'll see one very common characteristic in the people who are on FB. People who don't have anything to do or don't have any big goals are the most active there. On the contrary, people who read, have a lot of interesting things going on their life will be least active simply because they don't feel the need.
Eternal Optimists, I couldnot agree more about your comments of people on FB. The kind of videos and pictures people are putting these days is just pure crap and shows the intellectual hollowness of people.

Also answering the original question, Zivi you need to prioritise the important things in life.
Gym, Social Activities, Facebook, Calling Friends for Hrs can take a halt till GMAT. The pursuit of pleasure is what stops a human from achieving full potential.

Followed by:5 members

by neodante » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:19 am
AbhiJ wrote:
AbhiJ,
I think that terming people who are on Facebook intellectually hollow is not good. I know many people who are doing really well in life but are quite active on FB. What would you say about such people ?I don't think that they can be termed "intellectually devoid"

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Bigred2008 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:26 am
I wanted to ask you a question about competency, especially in regards to quant. I am looking at taking the test in December and recently scored a 560 on a practice CAT. What areas did you focus on to improve besides numbers properties. I saw your earlier comment about having lofty expectations to score a 700+ when you realized you weren't there yet. What was in that gap between you scoring 500 and then scoring 740 that I can focus on my improvements on?
"No Pressure, No Diamonds. "

by AbhiJ » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:42 am
neodante wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
AbhiJ,
I think that terming people who are on Facebook intellectually hollow is not good. I know many people who are doing really well in life but are quite active on FB. What would you say about such people ?I don't think that they can be termed "intellectually devoid"
There are 250 million people on FB, there are going to a successful people. By and large, would still hold my ground. Also being active on facebook is a relative term, i was refering to people who post silly messages and updates everyday by the hour.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by kalifalk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:33 pm
This is such a great story! Thank you for posting and congrats on your amazing score.

It is refreshing to read something like this. Your story is relatable and touching for all, but especially, I think, for those of us who have been tortured by the GMAT beast.

Best of luck to you and thanks again for posting!

by ErickWilson11 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:42 pm
WOW!!! Thank you for this post!

by mech04 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:18 pm
Congratulations on ur score and i really appreciate ur all efforts and perseverance. Sometimes its difficult to cling on to things wen they again and again nake u feel weak but showing courage at such times is what makes one truely a star. Your story is truly inspiring and the lines u wrote from the movie is truly beautiful.
Somehoe it has inspired me to give a short again for it and may be many other people.
Thanks a lot and congratulations again and ya best wishes for ur further application process.

by [email protected] » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:41 am
Hey , this is one hell of a success story:) congratulations on ur score , and personally I think it should be people like you who should make the cut in the top universities than the ones who score high in their first attempt. Kudos to your perseverance... :)