28 April. My gmat day

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

28 April. My gmat day

by alltimeacheiver » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:03 pm
Hi Gmat Tutors and Instructors,

I have been prepraring for so long in gmat but still my scores are not well. I took power prep few days back and I got 460 socre 36 in quant and 17 in english. I request you to please suggest me study pattern for clearing gmat with 760 scores within 3 months. I can devote 12 hrs a day becoz i have left my job for gmat. I have completed OG 12 but still left with few doubts. I am quite comformatble with sc and cr. I am always stuck in last 2 options where I need guidance. I cr and too I am not able to come out of tap in last 2 options. In Rc I am not able to score well. In power prep I faced 6 RCs alsomost 24 questions. More than 70% went wrong.

In maths portion I feel I am still weak with some of the basics. can you pls guide, what all books I need to refer more and what tests I shd appear to evaluate my Performance. Shd I need to download any extra material for more hard practice. Pls let me know the best ans..

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:15 members

by eternal_optimist » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:46 am
alltimeacheiver wrote:
I have been prepraring for so long in gmat but still my scores are not well. I took power prep few days back and I got 460 socre 36 in quant and 17 in english. I request you to please suggest me study pattern for clearing gmat with 760 scores within 3 months.

The first thing you should do is to set realistic target. Believe me there's no point aiming for a 760 ,even you have got a 17 on the Verbal section now. 760 is 99th percentile and achieving that score is incredibly difficult. I am not trying to dissuade you but trying to make you aware so that you plan accordingly for the road ahead.

I can devote 12 hrs a day becoz i have left my job for gmat.

If you would have gone through several of Ron Purewal's post here, you'd see that he has repeatedly emphasized the importance of NOT studying for more than 6 hours a day. You're only going to bring down your performance if you actually study for 12 hours /day.

In power prep I faced 6 RCs alsomost 24 questions. More than 70% went wrong.

This is for the first time that I am hearing that someone actually got 6 RCs on a test. On the GMAT, you're usually going to see 4 RCs only, and maybe in 1% chances 5 RCs ,but never ever you'll see 6 RCs.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:5 members

by alltimeacheiver » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:07 pm
Hi,

Pls suggest me some nice plan. I want to thanks all gmat instructors for soving my problems. I got 500 in gmat prep and I am improving alot. pls suggest something to my posts

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by garuhape » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:22 pm
eternal_optimist wrote:
I can devote 12 hrs a day becoz i have left my job for gmat.
If you would have gone through several of Ron Purewal's post here, you'd see that he has repeatedly emphasized the importance of NOT studying for more than 6 hours a day. You're only going to bring down your performance if you actually study for 12 hours /day.
I don't see a prob why you shouldn't study longer than 6 hours a day. You'll only bring your performance down at the end of the day when it is more difficult to concentrate but the next day you are going to be better.

I suggest you to do two or three prep test first, then to consequently evaluate your mistakes and to start to improve on these problems first. That will definitely help. It isn't enough to just practice without closely evaluating your mistakes.

Cheers