2016 OG SC 76

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

2016 OG SC 76

by Crystal W » Sun May 22, 2016 7:27 pm
That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

My question is about the choice B. I found an explanation said that we had better not use to be and instead to use am is are. Is that correct? I check the Manhattan, it said the verb to be is the most common linking verb and am is are are forms of to be(Manhattan Prep P90). I am confused about this. Can someone help me to explain?
Thanks in advance!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by Crystal W » Sun May 22, 2016 11:41 pm
Crystal W wrote:That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault: Alvin Toffler, one of the most prominent students of the future, did not even mention microcomputers in Future Shock, published in 1970.

(A) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said that it is their fault

(B) That educators have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said to be at fault

(C) It can hardly be said that it is the fault of educators who have not anticipated the impact of microcomputer technology

(D) It can hardly be said that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology

(E) The fact that educators are at fault for not anticipating the impact of microcomputer technology can hardly be said

My question is about the choice B. I found an explanation said that we had better not use to be and instead to use am is are. Is that correct? I check the Manhattan, it said the verb to be is the most common linking verb and am is are are forms of to be(Manhattan Prep P90). I am confused about this. Can someone help me to explain?
Thanks in advance!
I found the OG explanation of question 83 said "the infinitive to be should be omitted for a tighter and clearer expression." I am not sure if it is related to my 76 question.