2 months enough?

Post your questions about customer service issues, GMAT exam policies, and GMAT exam structure. Get an official answer from GMAC, the organization behind the GMAT test!
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

2 months enough?

by Anh Duong » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:57 am
Hello.
I am planning to take my GMAT on August 15th and I have been studying for 20 days so far. I have been using Manhattan mostly, and I took the first GMATPrep on the main website 10 days ago and got 660. I feel like 660 was extremely high for what I did. I was expecting a 550.

I am aiming 730 and I would like to take the GMAT one time only which I know is crazy while I only have 2 months left. I have been debating whether I should take it a couple weeks later instead.

So my question is do you think it is possible for me to study for 2 more months and get 730? Should I study a little more? So far I have not even started studying for the Math part yet and my RC is awful (I fall a sleep after reading the third paragraph even though for the 16 wrong answers I got in my first Prep test I got 6 wrong for SC, 6 for CR, and only 4 for RC).

Thank you very much.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:12 pm
Hi Anh Duong,

With this initial practice CAT score, there's some evidence that you might just be a naturally strong Test Taker.

In answer to your question, 2 months of additional study could very be plenty for you to hit your score goals, but we're not going to know until you do a bit more study and take another FULL-LENGTH CAT. You should continue to study as you have been, then take a new CAT in 2-3 weeks. Once you have that score, you should report back here and we can make any adjustments to your study plan that are warranted.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

by Anh Duong » Tue Jun 16, 2015 3:55 am
Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for the reply. I feel much more confident now. I am planning to take the second CAT in a week or so, and it will be mainly just to see how my verbal has improved since I am not going to start studying for the quantitative part until after that. I will let you know how it goes.

Again, thanks! :)

Anh

by Anh Duong » Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:54 pm
Just finished my first Kaplan CAT. It felt so much harder than the GMATPrep one I took. Anyway, I studied quite a bit for the verbal and the results are horrible. Still got 660 total but only 27 (46 percentile).... compare to 34 (69 percentile) before I started studying.....

What should I do now? I was thinking of starting Math but it seems like I should concentrate on verbal... or should I try to maximize my quantitative? The Math part in this CAT felt so much harder than the GMATPrep one too. There were so many probability questions which I had to take a wild guess on.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:32 pm
Hi Anh Duong,

With these Scaled Scores, the bulk of the missing points that you're looking for are going to be found in the Verbal section, so you really need to focus on that section's material, tactics, etc. to raise your score.

You might also want to analyze the types of questions that you were getting wrong on this CAT's Verbal section, so you have a better idea of whether certain areas need more attention or not.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]