1000CR Test 3, Q 20

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

1000CR Test 3, Q 20

by tallynik » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:06 pm
The following proposal to amend the bylaws of an organization was circulated to its members for comment.
When more than one nominee is to be named for an office, prospective nominees must consent to nomination and before giving such consent must be told who the other nominees will be.
Which of the following comments concerning the logic of the proposal is accurate if it cannot be known who the actual nominees are until prospective nominees have given their consent to be nominated?
(A) The proposal would make it possible for each of several nominees for an office to be aware of who all of the other nominees are.
(B) The proposal would widen the choice available to those choosing among the nominees.
(C) If there are several prospective nominees, the proposal would deny the last nominee equal treatment with the first.
(D) The proposal would enable a prospective nominee to withdraw from competition with a specific person without making that withdrawal known.
(E) If there is more than one prospective nominee, the proposal would make it impossible for anyone to become a nominee.

OA E

I am not sure if above is the right answer. I marked D.
Please help understand.
Thanks For Your Help

Legendary Member
Followed by:25 members
GMAT Score:730

by logitech » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:20 pm
I kept staring at this question and asked myself whether it was written in English or not..I will pass this one! :?
LGTCH
---------------------
"DON'T LET ANYONE STEAL YOUR DREAM!"

Legendary Member

by nervesofsteel » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:44 pm
The answer should be E

Condition for giving a consent is that the person should know who all are competing.

as per the last condition , if it is not possible to know nominees in advance.. Then No one can nominate as second condition leads to contradiction with first condition.

Hope it helps.

Legendary Member

by raunekk » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:51 pm
i came across this question few months back and i must say its an absolute beauty...

later i came across a impeccable explanation for the same, found from esnips...

explanation:
Suppose that there are only two Prospective nominees A & B.

We approach A to get his consent to become a nominee. Now according to the proposal before taking the consent from A, he must be told that the other nominee is B. But B has not given his consent yet. So to get consent from A we need to take consent from B.

Now we approach B. Here again before taking B's consent we must tell him that A is the other nominee. But we have not taken consent from A yet.

This scenario will lead us where we can't get consent from any prospective nominee and therefore if there is more than one prospective nominee, the proposal would make it impossible for anyone to become a nominee.

Hence E.

i hope this helps..

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 12:06 am
nice 1 - thanks.

Legendary Member

by stop@800 » Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:47 am
A deadlock situation :)
raunekk wrote:i came across this question few months back and i must say its an absolute beauty...

later i came across a impeccable explanation for the same, found from esnips...

explanation:
Suppose that there are only two Prospective nominees A & B.

We approach A to get his consent to become a nominee. Now according to the proposal before taking the consent from A, he must be told that the other nominee is B. But B has not given his consent yet. So to get consent from A we need to take consent from B.

Now we approach B. Here again before taking B's consent we must tell him that A is the other nominee. But we have not taken consent from A yet.

This scenario will lead us where we can't get consent from any prospective nominee and therefore if there is more than one prospective nominee, the proposal would make it impossible for anyone to become a nominee.

Hence E.

i hope this helps..

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by Sharma_Gaurav » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:07 am
does anyone know what level question this one would be on an actual gmat exam ?
I guess it is 700 + level, and i would have guessed it, depending on time .
But agree it is a dead lock and hence answer is E.