1000 SC_ Q No 228

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

1000 SC_ Q No 228

by manasnanu » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:41 am
Can somebody help in solving this question

228. Corporations will soon be required to report to the government whether they have the necessary reserves to pay the pension benefits earned by their employees and that the information be published in annual reports to shareholders.
(A) earned by their employees and that the information be published
(B) that their employees earned and that the information be published
(C) that was earned by their employees with the information being published
(D) earned by their employees, information that must also be published
(E) earned by their employees and published the information
let me give the power of perseverance.............

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by krajaram29 » Sat May 03, 2008 7:02 am
Is the answer D?

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by zacharyz » Sat May 03, 2008 10:21 am
I agree. It should be (D)

Manas - can you please underline the part of the sentence to be corrected. We can figure it out, but would be easier while you are reading the sentence initially.

parallelism is not a perfect strategy for this question, so you have to beware of the "that" in some of the answers. D is the only sentence that links the first part (publishing report) and the sentence (must also be published somewhere). probably not the best explanation...

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:690

by crackgmat007 » Thu May 28, 2009 3:56 pm
can someone explain this pls? tx

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by rahulsaroha » Thu May 28, 2009 7:38 pm
why not (E).....
whether they have............and published the ...........is correct
rahul

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:600

by manchi » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:45 am
Hi All,

any clear explanation for the answer as D

regards,
Manchi

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:694 members
GMAT Score:780

by Stacey Koprince » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:56 am
Received a PM asking me to respond.

Initial read: Corporations will be required to X whether they (corps) have the reserves to J and K.

Hmm. K is a second requirement. So the parallelism would actually have to be something like:
Corporations will be required to X (report... whether... employees) and (to) Y. Except X and Y are not parallel in the original. Eliminate A. Check the other choices for this same issue.

B is matching up the wrong info again - trying to make "that their employees earned" and "that the information" parallel, but that can't work. Then the second item would read "the pension benefits... that the information be published." Doesn't make sense. Eliminate B.

C and D remove the parallelism (the word "and" is gone). Skip those for a moment.

E again has a parallelism problem. Can't match it up with "whether they have" because "whether they have" is in present tense, while "have published" would be present perfect. If you're going to reuse "have" for a present perfect construction, then the first part also needs to be written in present perfect. (Example: She has written three books and published two. "has written... and (has) published.") Eliminate.

Back to C. Now, the meaning is messed up. It seems to be saying that the employees had something to do with the information being published? Eliminate. So D is the answer - only one left.

Now we've got this construction:
Corporations will soon be required to X (report whether they pay the benefits earned), information (referring back to X) that must (here's the requirement again!) be published...

So it maintains the original meaning (two things will be required), and it appropriately introduces the new word "information" to refer back to the entire concept discussed in X.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:600

by manchi » Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:41 am
Hats off ... indeed ur way to fragment out the sentence is really impeccable.
Thanks for the really good explanation.

Thanks Stacey :)

by [email protected] » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:04 am
Thanks Stacey it helped!!!