1000 sc-5

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

1000 sc-5

by gmatnmein2010 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:22 pm
16. Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

(A) the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers
(B) should the unemployment rate be four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers
(C) were the unemployment rate four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers
(D) if the unemployment rate is four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers
(E) there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers when there is an unemployment rate that is four per cent

Legendary Member
Followed by:79 members
GMAT Score:640

by money9111 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:25 pm
IMO E... i think you forgot the answer on this one ;-).
My goal is to make MBA applicants take onus over their process.

My story from Pre-MBA to Cornell MBA - New Post in Pre-MBA blog

Me featured on Poets & Quants

Free Book for MBA Applicants

MBA Student
Followed by:22 members

by fibbonnaci » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:13 pm
(A) the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers [ between is used to talk about 2 things whereas among is used to talk about more than 2 things. here we need 'between'. Eliminated]

(B) should the unemployment rate be four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers [same as A. Eliminated!]

(C) were the unemployment rate four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers ['were' is a subjunctive word and is not required here. we need conditional statement here. Eliminated!]

(D) if the unemployment rate is four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers [correct! my answer]

(E) there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers when there is an unemployment rate that is four per cent [same as A. Eliminated]

Legendary Member
Followed by:47 members

by komal » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:33 pm
gmatnmein2010 wrote:16. Until quite recently, American economists have assumed that the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers.

(A) the unemployment rate being four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers - "Among" incorrectly used to compare 2 objects. "between" should be used instead.

(B) should the unemployment rate be four per cent, there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers - Same as (A)

(C) were the unemployment rate four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers - "were the.. there is.." is incorrect

(D) if the unemployment rate is four per cent, there is a rough balance between jobs and job seekers Correct

(E) there is a rough balance among jobs and job seekers when there is an unemployment rate that is four per cent -"Among" incorrectly used to compare 2 objects