$1000 in GMAT exams later...

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

$1000 in GMAT exams later...

by sunman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:25 am
I beat the GMAT, and I don't have a lengthy debrief for you all. I just have one lesson. Perseverance.

If you haven't read this thread, I highly encourage that you read it:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/attention-al ... tml#466860

There are no gimmicks to beating the GMAT. No amount of debriefs that you read from other people will be the magic pill that helps you achieve the score that you want.

For me, it literally took 4 GMATs before I got the score that I wanted.

This site is a support network of incredible people who want to help each other get into the business school of their dreams by sharing their thoughts and experiences, their defeats and triumphs, in hopes that others may learn from this well worn path. However, it seems like some people are just looking for a quick fix. I literally read a thread a few months ago written by a purported GMAT tutor who was recommending that candidates take a stimulant for alertness before the exam. Are...you...kidding...me? The same tutor dissects questions on GMATPrep relentlessly in an effort to determine how the scoring algorithm works.

Short answer is: Who cares? The scoring algorithm is how it is. It's outside of your control. You show up on gameday, and get as many questions right as you can in the prescribed amount of time. Does that change? No!

How do you get there?

You need to run the football. No trick plays, no hail marys - run the football. By that, I mean grind out every last yard you can reach for in the trenches. I mean, doing GMAT questions and taking practice CATs until your head falls off. Throughout my GMAT Preparation Phase, I've likely taken no less than 50 practice CATs (over a 15 month span) and worked through almost every reputable book on the market.

It's about determination. As I said earlier, I've taken the GMAT 4 times. I got a 700 on my first try. Wasn't happy. Got a 710 on the 2nd, still didn't like my score (I need to offset a low GPA). Took it again, got a 730, felt like I could run with it, so I deployed to Afghanistan and started working on my apps from there based on the 730. Still wanted to improve my chances, so scheduled a retake for as soon as I got back from Afghanistan.

Finally, the taste of victory - 750 (48Q, 44V). I was jumping up and down in the test room and they threatened to file an incident report. (can you blame me?)

It's been an arduous road. For some of you more talented ones (like my friend Mark who scored a 770 on his first try), it will be less arduous. For some, it will be more arduous.

But the moral of the story is - the only way to beat the GMAT and get the score you want is grinding it out with practice.

There are no gimmicks, so stop trying to game the game.

Good Luck,

Sonny
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Followed by:4 members

by NextGreatLeader » Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:38 am
Great post. Taking over 50 practice tests and working on your apps in Afghanistan is truly the definition of perseverance and no excuses. Keep us updated on your app progress!

Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:700

by Bschool2013 » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:24 pm
Nice work, Devil Dog. Good luck on the applications!

I know you're estatic with your score, but did you know can get $250 back? Now you can proudly say you only spent $750 on the GMAT. That's like eating a big ice cream Sundae and finding a couple benjamins at the bottom of the dish.

https://www.dantes.doded.mil/Sub%20Pages ... _GMAT.html

Followed by:9 members
GMAT Score:750

by sunman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:03 pm
Bschool2013 wrote:Nice work, Devil Dog. Good luck on the applications!

I know you're estatic with your score, but did you know can get $250 back? Now you can proudly say you only spent $750 on the GMAT. That's like eating a big ice cream Sundae and finding a couple benjamins at the bottom of the dish.

https://www.dantes.doded.mil/Sub%20Pages ... _GMAT.html
Yeah, I knew that. Thanks though brother! Good looking out.
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has" - Margaret Mead

Followed by:2 members

by AbhiJ » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:01 am
Thanks, Your post is thought provoking.

Couple of questions for you

- Anything different you did between 730 and 750, other than writing tests.
- Did you face timing issues in Quant while preparing and did you overcome them by tests or by practicing topic wise problems.

AJ