which showed that the Martian surface was like that of the M

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:740
In July 1965 Mariner IV passed by Mars and took the first-ever close-up photographs of another planet, which showed that the Martian surface was like that of the Moon's in that it was pockmarked by moonlike craters and was dry and apparently dead.

A. which showed that the Martian surface was like that of the Moon's in that it was pockmarked by moonlike craters and was dry and apparently dead
B. which showed a dry, apparently dead Martian surface, and it was pockmarked by craters like the Moon has
C. which showed the Martian surface as a dry, apparently dead one, which was pockmarked with craters such as the Moon's
D. photos showing the Martian surface to be like that of the Moon's, dry and apparently dead, and it was pockmarked by moonlike craters
E. photos that showed a dry, apparently dead Martian surface pockmarked with craters like those on the Moon
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:14 am
Source: Question Pack 1
OA: E

Not a tough question, but weird and has lots of take away. I will request experts to Pop in.

There is an another question on another post by Ron where he has discussed the usage of which. Click Here.

But I do not agree with the discussion, and the creation of the new theory, which is quoted by Ron. I am reproducing it =

here's the basic summary:
if you have "X + preposition + Y, which..."
then:
* if Y works (in terms of both grammar and common sense) as the antecedent of "which", then "which" should stand for Y.
* if Y doesn't work as the antecedent, but "X + prep + Y" DOES work, then "which" can stand for "X (+ prep + Y)".

see this problem for an example of the latter.

I think the link given by Ron there that of emily dickinson questions can be justified by this theory that Ron and Mitch Hunt has himself has quoted multiple times =

comma + which + singular verb = refers to the closest singular noun.
comma + which + plural verb = refers to the closest plural noun.

I belive that this theory "X + preposition + Y, which..." is over generalization to make it a grammar rule, but the truth is that the GMAC questions are governed by =

In that Emily Dickinson case "which" was referring back to the letter not because of the hit and trial theory that some times "which" can refer back to X, but the truth is that X(letters in case of Emily Dickinson question) was refereed in that question because the verb of "which" is "were", a plural.

see here =

Emily Dickinson's letters(X) to Susan Huntington Dickinson(Y), which were ____________

"X + preposition + Y, which..."

But I think here also this rule is tested =

Coming back to our original question.

But since the verb showed can be both singular and plural based on the context so we cannot decide whether which is referring back to photographs(plural) or planet(singular). The use of "which" is ambiguous here.
The Official explanation says the same that the use of "which" is ambiguous here.

Option D and Option E deserves expert intervention.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 am
richachampion wrote:In July 1965 Mariner IV passed by Mars and took the first-ever close-up photographs of another planet, which showed that the Martian surface was like that of the Moon's in that it was pockmarked by moonlike craters and was dry and apparently dead.

A. which showed that the Martian surface was like that of the Moon's in that it was pockmarked by moonlike craters and was dry and apparently dead
B. which showed a dry, apparently dead Martian surface, and it was pockmarked by craters like the Moon has
C. which showed the Martian surface as a dry, apparently dead one, which was pockmarked with craters such as the Moon's
D. photos showing the Martian surface to be like that of the Moon's, dry and apparently dead, and it was pockmarked by moonlike craters
E. photos that showed a dry, apparently dead Martian surface pockmarked with craters like those on the Moon
which + SINGULAR VERB must serve to refer to the nearest preceding SINGULAR noun.
which + PLURAL VERB must serve to refer to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun.
If the verb attributed to which can be SINGULAR OR PLURAL, then which must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.
To my knowledge, no OA from GMAC has deviated from these rules.

A, B and C: another planet, which showed
Here, the verb attributed to which -- showed -- can be singular or plural.
As a result, which seems to refer to another planet, implying that ANOTHER PLANET showed aspects of the Martian surface.
The intended meaning is that PHOTOGRAPHS showed these aspects.
Eliminate A, B and C.

D: the Martian surface...like that of the Moon's
Here, that seems to be standing in for the surface.
Conveyed meaning:
the Martian surface...like the surface of the Moon's [surface]
The word in brackets is omitted but implied.
As a result, the phrase in red conveys an illogical meaning.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by Mo2men » Thu Jan 12, 2017 7:20 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
richachampion wrote:In July 1965 Mariner IV passed by Mars and took the first-ever close-up photographs of another planet, which showed that the Martian surface was like that of the Moon's in that it was pockmarked by moonlike craters and was dry and apparently dead.

which + SINGULAR VERB must serve to refer to the nearest preceding SINGULAR noun.
which + PLURAL VERB must serve to refer to the nearest preceding PLURAL noun.
If the verb attributed to which can be SINGULAR OR PLURAL, then which must serve to refer to the NEAREST PRECEDING NOUN.
To my knowledge, no OA from GMAC has deviated from these rules.

A, B and C: another planet, which showed
Here, the verb attributed to which -- showed -- can be singular or plural.
As a result, which seems to refer to another planet, implying that ANOTHER PLANET showed aspects of the Martian surface.
The intended meaning is that PHOTOGRAPHS showed these aspects.
Eliminate A, B and C.

D: the Martian surface...like that of the Moon's
Here, that seems to be standing in for the surface.
Conveyed meaning:
the Martian surface...like the surface of the Moon's [surface]
The word in brackets is omitted but implied.
As a result, the phrase in red conveys an illogical meaning.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is E.
Dear GMATGuru,

Is the phrase " Verb to be + like +that/those' correct? or unidiomatic?

Thanks

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:22 am
Mo2men wrote: Dear GMATGuru,

Thanks
Outside the GMAT, FORM OF TO BE + PREPOSITION is a common construction:
The book IS ON the table.
Ten women WERE IN the club.
The hotel is expected TO BE BY the sea.

Offhand, I can't cite an official SC that employs this sort of construction.
Thus, I would be skeptical of to be like (FORM OF TO BE + PREPOSITION).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Legendary Member

by richachampion » Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:05 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Mo2men wrote: Dear GMATGuru,

Thanks
Outside the GMAT, FORM OF TO BE + PREPOSITION is a common construction:
The book IS ON the table.
Ten women WERE IN the club.
The hotel is expected TO BE BY the sea.

Offhand, I can't cite an official SC that employs this sort of construction.
Thus, I would be skeptical of to be like (FORM OF TO BE + PREPOSITION).

sir, can we also discuss the structure of the correct problem.
R I C H A,
[email protected]

GMAT Instructor

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:23 pm
richachampion wrote:sir, can we also discuss the structure of the correct problem.
OA: In July 1965 Mariner IV passed by Mars and took the first-ever close-up photographs of another planet, photos that showed a dry, apparently dead Martian surface pockmarked with craters like those on the Moon.

Do you have a specific question about the OA?
The portion in blue is an example of a RESUMPTIVE MODIFIER.
I discuss this type of modifier here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/concept-of-r ... 62425.html

Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Pratishtha21 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:24 am
A. which showed that the Martian surface was like that of the Moon's in that it was pockmarked by moonlike craters and was dry and apparently dead - incorrect. redundancy.
B. which showed a dry, apparently dead Martian surface, and it was pockmarked by craters like the Moon has - incorrect. which refers to another planet not photos
C. which showed the Martian surface as a dry, apparently dead one, which was pockmarked with craters such as the Moon's - same as B
D. photos showing the Martian surface to be like that of the Moon's, dry and apparently dead, and it was pockmarked by moonlike craters - incorrect. redundancy.
E. photos that showed a dry, apparently dead Martian surface pockmarked with craters like those on the Moon - correct