What was as remarkable as the development of the compact dis

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:56 am
GMATGuruNY wrote: 2. Verbs should be in the same tense unless a change in tense is required. In A, there is no justification for switching from the past tense (was) to the present perfect (has been). Since C avoids this issue and is free of errors, eliminate A.
Of the three reasons above, reason 2 seems the most straightforward.
Much thanks GMATGuruNY.

Do we have any INDICATORS in GMAT SC that we should be aware of WHEN a change in TENSE is required ?

Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

by RBBmba@2014 » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:44 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote: 2. Verbs should be in the same tense unless a change in tense is required. In A, there is no justification for switching from the past tense (was) to the present perfect (has been). Since C avoids this issue and is free of errors, eliminate A.
Much thanks GMATGuruNY.

Do we have any INDICATORS in GMAT SC that we should be aware of WHEN a change in TENSE is required ?
Hi GMATGuru - any feedback on this ?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:14 am
RBBmba@2014 wrote:
Much thanks GMATGuruNY.

Look for TIME CLUES: words and phrases that refer to TIME.

SC10 in the OG13:
The widely accepted big bang theory HOLDS that the universe BEGAN in an explosive instant ten to twenty billion years ago.
Here, ten to twenty billion years ago is a time clue, requiring that the second verb (began) be in the past tense, even though the first verb (holds) is in the present tense.
On the GMAT, a change in tense will often be accompanied by this sort of time clue.

Answer choice A would require a change in tense if it read as follows:
What WAS remarkable in the 1970s has SINCE become commonplace.
Here, the time clues in the 1970s and since necessitate a change in tense (from the simple past to the present perfect).
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3