1000 sc #454

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

1000 sc #454

by magical cook » Tue Apr 17, 2007 4:11 pm
454. Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build a modern industrial system.
(A) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, using it to help build
(B) Japan received huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War and used it to help in building
(C) Japan used the huge sums of capital it received from the United States after the Second World War to help build
(D) Japan’s huge sums of capital received from the United States after the Second World War were used to help it in building
(E) Receiving huge sums of capital from the United States after the Second World War, Japan used it to help build

Hi,

The correct answer is E) but I don't understand why "it" comes before received? I though the answer was E) though.... Can anyone please explain?

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:44 am
Answer is C since “it” refers clearly to Japan
In all the other options “it” is ambiguous since it can refer to capital or US
Isis Alaska

by magical cook » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:35 am
Sorry!

The correcrt answer is C) but I thought the answer was E) .

Can anyone please explain why C) is correct??? :shock:

Community Manager
Followed by:3 members

by isisalaska » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:39 am
yeah...that's what I though, that's why I had in my post "the correct answer is C" becasue that the only one that the "it" is not ambiguos refering to Japan :)
Isis Alaska

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:59 am
D & E are clearly out because they are wordy and confusing. A&B should be eliminated because they use the pronoun "it" which is confusing, since it is not clear for which country they use the word it. C sounds like the correct answer.

Whats the OA

by magical cook » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:46 am
Thank you for clarifying it...

sorry for keep bugging but two more question. but this question keeps bothering me so much.. :(

So, in C) "Japan used the huge sums of capital it received from the United States" it still sounds to me strange as I dont see any necessarry reason why we have to repeat "japan" which is the same subject. I think it would make more sense if there is no "it" and Japan used capital (which was) recived from the US...

For other choices except for C), if "it" was "them" reffering sums of capital, those choices would be correct too??

Thanks!!

Legendary Member

by aj5105 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:46 pm
Can somebody please clarify whether 'huge sums of capital' is singular or plural?

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:03 pm
Can somebody please clarify whether 'huge sums of capital' is singular or plural
I have read sums and products of mathematical processes are singular(here it is kind of referring to addition u add money (sums of capital)).

Moreover another clue that this is singular is none of the answer choices use "them". It could have been more confusing if them was added to 1 or 2 answer choices.

Hope I am not off here...

Regards,
CR