BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Probabilities question

Problem Solving — algebra and arithmetic (GMAT Focus Edition)
Expert replies
by allenkt » Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:08 pm
Admittedly, probability is a weak area for me because I don't remember ever taking anything like it in high school or college (never took statistics). I have a question about a formula. I recently learned the formula to be as follows:

If you have n items, taken r at a time, the total number of possible combinations can be found as such:

C(n,r) = n! / r! (n-r)!

However in most of the problems I've seen nobody is using that exact formula. Instead they are using something else. I can't remember it exactly and I can't seem to find an example but it's something like

n!/r! * n!

What is difference in the two ways of finding the answer? Hopefully someone knows what I'm talking about because I'll admit I'm even starting to confuse myself...lol.
Join the discussion
Source: — Quantitative Reasoning |

by Stacey Koprince » Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:28 pm
The formula you list below is for combination / permutation problems, which sometimes overlap with probability, but they aren't the same thing. I don't recognize your second formula - but the first is the classic combination formula (though there are a lot of others for both comb. and perm.).

There are also a lot of methods to choose from in this area - and they're too involved for me to type out right here, unfortunately. If you are taking a course, ask your teacher about comb/perm in particular and how best to tackle these. If you are studying on your own, find combinations / permutations in whatever books you are using and use that method. (And if you have more than one book, pick the method that is most comfortable for you.)

These don't show up a ton on the test, so don't worry about them too much.
Please note: I do not use the Private Messaging system! I will not see any PMs that you send to me!!

Stacey Koprince
GMAT Instructor
Director of Online Community
Manhattan GMAT

Contributor to Beat The GMAT!

Learn more about me
Join the discussion