BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Question 11 (nov. 14th)

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by cramya » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:53 pm
Substitute y =

I. 1/(2x)
II. – 2/x
III. 3/x

in the x^2y^2 - xy equation.

Only II and II will equal 6


I) 1/2x

x^2 * (1/2x)^2 - x*1/2x is not equal to 6


II) – 2/x

X^2 ( -2/X)^2 - X (-2/X)

= 4+2
=6

Could be true

III) 3/x

X^2 (3/X)^2 - X * 3/X
= 9 - 3
=6

COULD BE TRUE

Hence E)
Join the discussion

by dmateer25 » Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:54 pm
x^2 y^2 - xy = 6
xy(xy - 1) = 6

xy=3 or xy=-2 because these are only two possible solutions to the equation

so y=3/x and y=-2/x

E
Join the discussion

by jaybrium » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:12 pm
My technique for this problem, wasn't the best, but it lead me to the correct answer:

x^2y^2-xy = 6

you can factor out xy, therefore:

xy(xy-1) = 6

xy has to be an integer, so the product of a certain integer and that integer minus 1 = 6, so I figured the intgers could be 3 and 2

so

X = 3; y=1
or
x=1; y=3

from here I just plugged in X into the options:

I. 1/(2x) = 1/6 or 1/3; no good- eliminate A, C, & D

** only B & E remain, II must work

III. 3/x = 1 or 3, this works- choose E

If my post causes more harm than, good I apologize. Once I realized that I couldn't simply isolate y, I realized this problem had a solution that wasn't intuitive to me, so I tried the best I could and it worked (in under two minutes). I think that's the moral of my story.

Naturally Cramya has an great solution- use hers for this type of problem :-) Thanks Cramya!
- Jay
Join the discussion

by iamcste » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:27 pm
dmateer25 wrote:x^2 y^2 - xy = 6
xy(xy - 1) = 6

xy=3 or xy=-2 because these are only two possible solutions to the equation

so y=3/x and y=-2/x

E
Perfect ! I just wanted to do this...

I am sure you got xy=3 and xy=-2 from options right :D
Join the discussion

by mental » Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:14 am
let xy = a
a^2 - a - 6 = 0
(a-3)(a+2)=0

a=xy=3 .......so y=3/x

a=xy=-2.......so y=-2/x

E
Join the discussion