BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Am I top school material?

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
Expert replies
by shaden » Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:38 am
Hello all,

Do I have the credentials to even consider a top school? Here is a little about me.

Twenty seven year old, white male. Born in Sweden, moved to the US when 2. Did my undergrad at a small private liberal arts college in the midwest. BA in Business, Minor in Econ, GPA 3.34. While there I ran my college radio station for 2 years, taking it from the brink of being shut down to overwhelming sucess (Will get a recommendation testfying to this).

Took a year off to pursue music, then went to the University of Miami (FL) to get a Masters in Music Business and Entertaiment Industries. I was the sole recipeant of a TA position giving me a full tution scholarship. There I led many projects, including being credited as executive producer of a CD commissioned by Donna Shalala (former secretary of education under bill clinton). My graduate GPA was a 3.82.

After my degree, I worked at an independent entertainment company, impressing the executives and quickly promoted. At the company I was placed in ethical situations that I was not comfortable in and resigned in May. I have been job hunting ever since.

My questions are as follows. Does my lack of professional job experience hurt me? I noticed some top schools claim on their website to accept fresh undergrads with no experience, but I have a hard time believing this.

Will my higher graduate GPA (3.82) offset my lower undergrad GPA (3.34)? I feel it shows I can handle graduate level coursework.

How much do my leadership experiences (leading the radio station and being executive producer) help?

I am taking the GMAT soon and plan on scoring in the 700-720 range (according to my test scores).

Thank you very much,

-David

Quick Note: Since I have been unemployed I have been taking care of my family and the house since my father has fallen ill. Does that change anything?
Join the discussion
Source: — Ask an MBA Admissions Consultant |

Re: Am I top school material?

by Linda Abraham » Tue Nov 11, 2008 11:32 am
shaden wrote:Hello all,

Do I have the credentials to even consider a top school? Here is a little about me.

Twenty seven year old, white male. Born in Sweden, moved to the US when 2. Did my undergrad at a small private liberal arts college in the midwest. BA in Business, Minor in Econ, GPA 3.34. While there I ran my college radio station for 2 years, taking it from the brink of being shut down to overwhelming sucess (Will get a recommendation testfying to this).

Took a year off to pursue music, then went to the University of Miami (FL) to get a Masters in Music Business and Entertaiment Industries. I was the sole recipeant of a TA position giving me a full tution scholarship. There I led many projects, including being credited as executive producer of a CD commissioned by Donna Shalala (former secretary of education under bill clinton). My graduate GPA was a 3.82.

After my degree, I worked at an independent entertainment company, impressing the executives and quickly promoted. At the company I was placed in ethical situations that I was not comfortable in and resigned in May. I have been job hunting ever since.

My questions are as follows. Does my lack of professional job experience hurt me? I noticed some top schools claim on their website to accept fresh undergrads with no experience, but I have a hard time believing this.

Will my higher graduate GPA (3.82) offset my lower undergrad GPA (3.34)? I feel it shows I can handle graduate level coursework.

How much do my leadership experiences (leading the radio station and being executive producer) help?

I am taking the GMAT soon and plan on scoring in the 700-720 range (according to my test scores).

Thank you very much,

-David

Quick Note: Since I have been unemployed I have been taking care of my family and the house since my father has fallen ill. Does that change anything?
It sees to me that you do have professional work experience in the entertainment industry. And certainly that's how you have to portray it. I'm not clear one what "pursuing music" between your undergrad and grad studies means. Did you have a band? Study music? Were you working at all? And since you resigned, are you working at all? Six months with no work and no attempt to find work or improve skills could be a red flag. Your GPA is OK and your grad GPA is excellent.

A lot will depend on your GMAT and the appropriateness and clarity of your goals.

Best,
Linda
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
310.815.9553
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook
Join the discussion

by shaden » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:38 pm
Thank you Linda. By pursue music I has a band. We toured, made a CD, but I realized it was not what I wanted. I worked during that time (full time, but nothing resume worthy) until I went to graduate school.

And yes, I have been mostly unemployed the last 6 months since I resigned. I have worked odd jobs, just unable to find much in this economy.

I forgot to note I only worked for the entertainment company for 11 months. Would I be correct to assume that is not ideal work experience?

Again, thank you very much.
-David
Join the discussion

by appmentor-jon » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:40 pm
David,
I certainly wouldn't rule it out, but I do think it will be difficult. Also, you will want to consider explaining the past six months in the optional essay.

You do have a good story to tell, but the adcom may be concerned that you are once again choosing something you aren't truly committed to mba path so you are going to have to sell that a bit in your essays.

Best,
Jon
Join the discussion

by Linda Abraham » Tue Nov 11, 2008 10:05 pm
shaden wrote:Thank you Linda. By pursue music I has a band. We toured, made a CD, but I realized it was not what I wanted. I worked during that time (full time, but nothing resume worthy) until I went to graduate school.

And yes, I have been mostly unemployed the last 6 months since I resigned. I have worked odd jobs, just unable to find much in this economy.

I forgot to note I only worked for the entertainment company for 11 months. Would I be correct to assume that is not ideal work experience?

Again, thank you very much.
-David
Having a band is business-related and working for a media company is also business-related. Running a college radio station is valuable work experince. They are all media related, and that can be a great distinguishing factor. However, if the schools sense that you are marking time in b-school and still don't really know what you want to do, they will pass. Do you have a good reason for wanting an MBA? Do you know what you want to do after you earn it?
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
310.815.9553
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook
Join the discussion

by shaden » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:02 am
Ideally I would love to work in strategic planning or marketing for a media/entertainment company. This would combine my academic and work experiences and fit my passion.

Thank you so much Linda.[/list]
Join the discussion

by Linda Abraham » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:11 pm
shaden wrote:Ideally I would love to work in strategic planning or marketing for a media/entertainment company. This would combine my academic and work experiences and fit my passion.

Thank you so much Linda.[/list]
I am concerned that your unemployment since May combined with a somewhat spotty employment record since graduation will hurt your chances. So while I recognize that this is a very difficult job market and your family responsibilities may mitigate, getting a job in a related field will be very important for your admissions chances. The good news is that your work experience all relates to and supports your long-term goal.

Assuming you score in the anticipated range, check out UCLA, USC, and NYU Stern. Apply even if you aren't employed by January but continue trying to get a job. If WL'd that job could help you get in and help you get a job upon graduation. Or it could help you if you are rejected and you need to reapply next year.
Linda Abraham
Accepted.com -- Helping You Write Your Best!
310.815.9553
Accepted Blog
Accepted on Twitter
Accepted on Facebook
Join the discussion