BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Probability with Combinations

Expert replies
by katty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:38 pm
Hi,
In one of the Princeton Review online tests:

There is a 90% chance that a registered voter in Burghtown voted in the last election. If five registered voters are chosen at random, what is the approximate likelihood that exactly four of them voted in the last election?

Okay, so I know that first, you have to find the total number of possible outcomes. Except, I don't know how to find that! I know that if it was about tossing coins, the probability would be 50% so for 5 coins, it would be 32 outcomes. But since this is a 90% chance, I'm not sure how to approach it. Please help!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by earth@work » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:00 pm
Hi,
Let E be the event person voted
P(E)=0.9
P(not E)=1-0.9 =0.1
now, we have to find prob of 4 people voted out of 5 selected
Let A,B,C,D,E be 5 people
P(ABCD voted &E did not vote)=0.9*0.9*0.9*0.9*0.1=(0.9)^4*0.1
also, this can happen in 5 ways (i.e ABCE voted and not D etc )
P(exactly 4 voted) =(0.9)^4*0.1 *5 = 0.328 approx
Do let me know correct answer.
cheers!
Join the discussion

by katty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:12 pm
Yes that is the correct answer. But I'm just trying to wrap my head around how I could use combinations for this kind of question. I had another similar question before which was:

The probability that it will rain in town A is 50%. What is the probability that it will rain exactly 3 days out of a 5-day period?

Here, I calculated that there are two possible outcomes for each day - rain or no rain - and then multiplied it by 5 to get 32 outcomes. Then using combinations, 5 choose 3, I got 10 possible ways it could rain for exactly 3 days in a 5-day period. Thus, 10/32 was the answer.

How can I do the same thing for the above voting question? I feel like I can't seem to get probabilities and its really frustrating me... :(
Join the discussion

by katty » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:20 pm
Sorry, never mind. I just worked out how to get the same answer using your method and i think it's a lot easier. Thanks!!!!
Join the discussion

by earth@work » Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:35 pm
katty wrote:Yes that is the correct answer. But I'm just trying to wrap my head around how I could use combinations for this kind of question. I had another similar question before which was:

The probability that it will rain in town A is 50%. What is the probability that it will rain exactly 3 days out of a 5-day period?

Here, I calculated that there are two possible outcomes for each day - rain or no rain - and then multiplied it by 5 to get 32 outcomes. Then using combinations, 5 choose 3, I got 10 possible ways it could rain for exactly 3 days in a 5-day period. Thus, 10/32 was the answer.

How can I do the same thing for the above voting question? I feel like I can't seem to get probabilities and its really frustrating me... :(
Hi,
i doubt we can treat these as coin flipping prob questions, coz these events r not equally likely events. The above question worked coz the Probability of raining was luckily 50%(i.e rain was equally likely here) , so your taking 2^5 as total outcome worked. If the it was not 50% the solution above wud not have worked.
Here , we again need to take P(rain) =0.5, P(not rain)=0.5
P(rain exactly 3 days)=(0.5)^3 *(0.5)^2 *5C3 = (0.5)^5 * 10 =0.312 which is same as 10/32
passing u link for probabilities which might help u! i received this from someone here at beatthegmat ... was helpful so passing it on..hope it helps :-)
https://people.richland.edu/james/lecture/m170/
Join the discussion

Re: Probability with Combinations

by drpawan » Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:44 pm
katty wrote:Hi,
In one of the Princeton Review online tests:

There is a 90% chance that a registered voter in Burghtown voted in the last election. If five registered voters are chosen at random, what is the approximate likelihood that exactly four of them voted in the last election?

Okay, so I know that first, you have to find the total number of possible outcomes. Except, I don't know how to find that! I know that if it was about tossing coins, the probability would be 50% so for 5 coins, it would be 32 outcomes. But since this is a 90% chance, I'm not sure how to approach it. Please help!
p= voting of a registered voter in last election = 90/100 = 9/10
q = negation of p = 1/10
As per binomial probability function,
The probability of getting exactly x success in n trials, with the probability of success on a single trial being p is:
P(X=x) = nCx * p^x * q^(n-x)
P(x=4) = 5C4 * (9/10)^4 * (1/10)^(5-4)
= 5*(9/10)^4*1/10
= 1/2*(9/10)^4
= 3270.5/10000
= 0.327(app)
Join the discussion

by stop@800 » Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:04 pm
earth@work wrote:
katty wrote:Yes that is the correct answer. But I'm just trying to wrap my head around how I could use combinations for this kind of question. I had another similar question before which was:

The probability that it will rain in town A is 50%. What is the probability that it will rain exactly 3 days out of a 5-day period?

Here, I calculated that there are two possible outcomes for each day - rain or no rain - and then multiplied it by 5 to get 32 outcomes. Then using combinations, 5 choose 3, I got 10 possible ways it could rain for exactly 3 days in a 5-day period. Thus, 10/32 was the answer.

How can I do the same thing for the above voting question? I feel like I can't seem to get probabilities and its really frustrating me... :(
Hi,
i doubt we can treat these as coin flipping prob questions, coz these events r not equally likely events. The above question worked coz the Probability of raining was luckily 50%(i.e rain was equally likely here) , so your taking 2^5 as total outcome worked. If the it was not 50% the solution above wud not have worked.
Here , we again need to take P(rain) =0.5, P(not rain)=0.5
P(rain exactly 3 days)=(0.5)^3 *(0.5)^2 *5C3 = (0.5)^5 * 10 =0.312 which is same as 10/32
passing u link for probabilities which might help u! i received this from someone here at beatthegmat ... was helpful so passing it on..hope it helps :-)
https://people.richland.edu/james/lecture/m170/
We can treat it like a coin flipping question but we need to take the coin as biased coin.
Join the discussion