BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

How I’m Trying to Tackle GMAT Word Problems (Still a Work in Progress!)

Problem Solving — algebra and arithmetic (GMAT Focus Edition)
Expert replies
by jeffreestar » Tue Sep 09, 2025 8:12 pm
Hi everyone,

I wanted to share a little bit about my personal experience with GMAT Math prep—specifically word problems. Honestly, I’ve realized that the hardest part for me isn’t the math itself, but understanding the story behind the question and turning it into equations.

For example, I recall struggling with a simple ratio problem involving the mixing of two types of coffee beans. The math wasn’t complicated, but I got stuck because I spent too long figuring out how to “translate” the wording. By the time I set up the equation, the clock was already working against me.

Here are a few things I’ve been trying:

Underline keywords: words like "at least," "no more than," "combined," and "difference"—these often signal the type of equation needed.

Draw it out: even just a small sketch or table helps me organize the information.

Practice timed sets: I realized untimed practice gives me a false sense of security. When I use a timer, I see where I really get stuck.

But I’m still looking for better strategies. Do you also struggle with the “translation step”? What’s worked for you to get faster and more accurate with word problems?

Would love to hear how you guys approach this—it might help me (and others here) stop losing silly minutes on test day.
Join the discussion
Source: — Quantitative Reasoning |

I’ve found that translating the wording into a simple table or equation first, before doing any calculations, makes word problems much faster, especially when practicing with a strict time limit.
Join the discussion

I can relate to this. I’ve found that the translation step gets much easier when I stop trying to turn the entire paragraph into an equation at once. I usually identify what the question is actually asking for first, then define the unknowns and translate only the relationships that connect them.

The timed practice point is especially important too. Sometimes a problem feels easy when there’s no clock, but the extra time spent rereading the wording becomes a real issue during a test. I also like the idea of using a quick table for mixture, rate, or work problems—it can make the relationships much more obvious without doing a lot of extra work.
Join the discussion