Profile Evaluation-Need Advice

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation-Need Advice

by gfulya » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:26 am
Hi all,

I am 27 years old, female and Turkish citizen. I took the GMAT and got 650 (in my previous try I got a 610). My undergrad is in Engineering and my GPA is 3.33 (3rd in the department). I have my masters (GPA 3.66) and have been working in US for more than 2 years. I was planning to apply to UCLA and USC but with this GMAT score now I am not that sure. I can still apply to USC for the early round, but as I said I am not sure if it is worth it or not.

Does anyone think that I have a chance, or should I simply forget about business school?

Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:24 pm
Dear gfulya,

I don't think you need to give up business school; you are a good candidate if it is a degree that will aid you in pursuing the career you want. If you are going to apply to UCLA and USC (which you should if they are a good match for you), then the earlier the better. Since your GMAT score is on the low end of their ranges, it will be important for you to submit stellar essays, resume, letters of recommendation and give an outstanding interview. Your GPA demonstrates your ability to succeed in the classroom.

I also think it would be a good idea to apply to 1-2 other schools that are more of a safety or reasonable option for you. You have many options in the LA area, so I think there are probably some great schools to choose from as your alternative choices.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by gfulya » Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:11 am
Thanks for the info Stacey.