BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Stocks problem

Expert replies
by gmat009 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:30 pm
Last year the price per share of Stock X increased by k percent and the earnings per share of Stock X increased by m percent, where k is greater than m. By what percent did the ratio of price per share to earnings per share increase, in terms of k and m?
A. k/m %
B. (k – m) %
C. [100(k – m)] / (100 + k) %
D. [100(k – m)] / (100 + m) %
E. [100(k – m)] / (100 + k + m) %

OA is D

Plz. explain this problem
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by stop@800 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:00 pm
let
old price = P
old earning = E

new price = P(1+ k /100)
new earnings = E(1+ k /100) Error!!

Edited:
new earnings = E(1+ m /100)

% increase =

[ (new price)/(new earnings) - (old price)/(old earnings) ] / ((old price)/(old earnings))

Substitute and solve for ratio

You will easily get D

Let me know if you need more detailed explanation.....

Hope this helps!!
Last edited by stop@800 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join the discussion

by 4meonly » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:56 am
stop@800 wrote:let
old price = P
old earning = E

new price = P(1+ k /100)
new earnings = E(1+ k /100)

% increase =

[ (new price)/(new earnings) - (old price)/(old earnings) ] / ((old price)/(old earnings))

Substitute and solve for ratio

You will easily get D

Let me know if you need more detailed explanation.....

Hope this helps!!

Could you please elaborate.
I think I made a mistake somewhere and not able to arrive to correct answer
thanx
Join the discussion

by stop@800 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:35 pm
You want me to explain which step?

I think may be u want me to explain
new price = P(1+ k /100)

K% increase is actually increase by k/100 fraction
so increase is PK/100
new price = price + increase
P + PK/100

Please let me know if i missed something.
Join the discussion

by 4meonly » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:36 am
I have some problems with this

[ (new price)/(new earnings) - (old price)/(old earnings) ] / ((old price)/(old earnings))
Substitute and solve for ratio
You will easily get D


I think I made some stupid mistake in calculations - can you please post step-by-step calculations?
thanx!
Join the discussion

by Stockmoose16 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:39 pm
stop@800 wrote:You want me to explain which step?

I think may be u want me to explain
new price = P(1+ k /100)

K% increase is actually increase by k/100 fraction
so increase is PK/100
new price = price + increase
P + PK/100

Please let me know if i missed something.
Can you explain why my reasoning is wrong?

I tried to input numbers:

Starting P/E ratio 2:1, ending P/E ratio: 5:2

That means K: 50% and M: 20%... the overall increase in P/E ratio is:

(2.5-2)/2= 25%

None of the answer choices give me 25%....

In addition, I noticed you started changing the numbers into fractions (i.e. k/100), but the question clearly states K%, not K/100%. I don't understand why/how you decided to solve using fractions. Can you explain what's wrong with my example above and also why you went from K% to K/100%?
Join the discussion

by stop@800 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:07 pm
4meonly wrote:I have some problems with this

[ (new price)/(new earnings) - (old price)/(old earnings) ] / ((old price)/(old earnings))
Substitute and solve for ratio
You will easily get D

solving numerator.........

P(1+k/100) / E(1+m/100) - P/E

P(100+k) / E(100+m) - P/E

P/E ( (100+k/100+m) - 1 )

P/E (100+k-100-m)/(100+m)

P/E (k- m)/(100+m)

now we need to divide this by p/e
so we have

(k- m)(100+m)

now adding %

100(k- m)/(100+m) %


PS:
In my earlier post i have written
new earnings = E(1+ k /100)
it shud be
instead new earnings = E(1+ m /100)
I think I made some stupid mistake in calculations - can you please post step-by-step calculations?
thanx!
Join the discussion

by stop@800 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:12 pm
Stockmoose16 wrote:
stop@800 wrote:You want me to explain which step?

I think may be u want me to explain
new price = P(1+ k /100)

K% increase is actually increase by k/100 fraction
so increase is PK/100
new price = price + increase
P + PK/100

Please let me know if i missed something.
Can you explain why my reasoning is wrong?

I tried to input numbers:

Starting P/E ratio 2:1, ending P/E ratio: 5:2

That means K: 50% and M: 20%... the overall increase in P/E ratio is:
How you got 50% ??

(2.5-2)/2= 25%

None of the answer choices give me 25%....

In addition, I noticed you started changing the numbers into fractions (i.e. k/100), but the question clearly states K%, not K/100%. I don't understand why/how you decided to solve using fractions. Can you explain what's wrong with my example above and also why you went from K% to K/100%?
in increase by K% is increase by a fraction of K/100

Ex:
increase of 15% is increase by a fraction 15/100 = .15

so for Rs. 200 increase of 15% = increase by 200*.15 = 30

and new value will be 200+30
ie
for P old value
increase is PK/100
and
new value = P + PK/100

Hope this helps!!
Join the discussion

by Stockmoose16 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:54 am
stop@800 wrote:
Stockmoose16 wrote:
stop@800 wrote:You want me to explain which step?

I think may be u want me to explain
new price = P(1+ k /100)

K% increase is actually increase by k/100 fraction
so increase is PK/100
new price = price + increase
P + PK/100

Please let me know if i missed something.
Can you explain why my reasoning is wrong?

I tried to input numbers:

Starting P/E ratio 2:1, ending P/E ratio: 5:2

That means K: 50% and M: 20%... the overall increase in P/E ratio is:
How you got 50% ??

(2.5-2)/2= 25%

None of the answer choices give me 25%....

In addition, I noticed you started changing the numbers into fractions (i.e. k/100), but the question clearly states K%, not K/100%. I don't understand why/how you decided to solve using fractions. Can you explain what's wrong with my example above and also why you went from K% to K/100%?
in increase by K% is increase by a fraction of K/100

Ex:
increase of 15% is increase by a fraction 15/100 = .15

so for Rs. 200 increase of 15% = increase by 200*.15 = 30

and new value will be 200+30
ie
for P old value
increase is PK/100
and
new value = P + PK/100

Hope this helps!!
Sorry, I gave a bad example... now, using the correct numbers, you'll see that my method seems to work. I still don't understand your methodology. Why are you changing things into fractions when the question clearly states: "Stock X increased by K percent." It does not say, "Stock A increased by K/100%." Here's the way I did the problem:

Starting P/E: 50/100
Ending P/E: 75/120

K: (75-50)/50= 50%
M: (120-100)/120=20%

Percent change in p/e is: (5/8-1/2)/1/2 = 1/8/1/2 = 1/4 = 25%

Now, if you plug into answer choice D:

[100 (k-m)] / (100+m) %

you get:

[100 (50-20)] / 100+20) %

(3000/120)

=25%

Is this logic correct? If so, I still don't understand why you put M and K over 100. The question never asks you to create a fraction. It says it's M%, not M/100 %. Please further explain.
Join the discussion

by Stockmoose16 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:52 am
stop@800 wrote:
Stockmoose16 wrote:
stop@800 wrote:You want me to explain which step?

I think may be u want me to explain
new price = P(1+ k /100)

K% increase is actually increase by k/100 fraction
so increase is PK/100
new price = price + increase
P + PK/100

Please let me know if i missed something.
Can you explain why my reasoning is wrong?

I tried to input numbers:

Starting P/E ratio 2:1, ending P/E ratio: 5:2

That means K: 50% and M: 20%... the overall increase in P/E ratio is:
How you got 50% ??

(2.5-2)/2= 25%

None of the answer choices give me 25%....

In addition, I noticed you started changing the numbers into fractions (i.e. k/100), but the question clearly states K%, not K/100%. I don't understand why/how you decided to solve using fractions. Can you explain what's wrong with my example above and also why you went from K% to K/100%?
in increase by K% is increase by a fraction of K/100

Ex:
increase of 15% is increase by a fraction 15/100 = .15

so for Rs. 200 increase of 15% = increase by 200*.15 = 30

and new value will be 200+30
ie
for P old value
increase is PK/100
and
new value = P + PK/100

Hope this helps!!
I tried using your equations and didn't get the correct answer. See the following:

(P+PK/100 //E+EM/100) - (P+pm/100 /E +EM/100) // P/E

= P (K-M) / E(100+M) // P/E

= K-m / 100+M

This is not one of the answers. I think something is wrong.
Join the discussion

by silentuser » Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:16 pm
Stockmoose16 wrote:
I tried using your equations and didn't get the correct answer. See the following:

(P+PK/100 //E+EM/100) - (P+pm/100 /E +EM/100) // P/E

= P (K-M) / E(100+M) // P/E

= K-m / 100+M

This is not one of the answers. I think something is wrong.
Sockmoose16:

Your answer is correct. You just need to multiply it by 100 to get the answer in percentage. Then you will get Choice D.
Join the discussion