BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If x, y, and z are consecutive odd integers, with x < y < z, then whic

Expert replies
by BTGModeratorVI » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 am

Timer

00:00

Answers

A

B

C

D

E

Stats

Difficulty—

If x, y, and z are consecutive odd integers, with x < y < z, then which of the following must be true?

I. x + y is even
II. (x+z)/y is an integer
III. xz is even

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

Answer: D
Source: Kaplan
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

BTGModeratorVI wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 am
If x, y, and z are consecutive odd integers, with x < y < z, then which of the following must be true?

I. x + y is even
II. (x+z)/y is an integer
III. xz is even

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

Answer: D
Source: Kaplan

Some important rules:
#1. ODD +/- ODD = EVEN
#2. ODD +/- EVEN = ODD
#3. EVEN +/- EVEN = EVEN

#4. (ODD)(ODD) = ODD
#5. (ODD)(EVEN) = EVEN
#6. (EVEN)(EVEN) = EVEN



The key word here is MUST

I. x + y is even
Since x and y are both ODD, we can conclude that x + y = ODD + ODD = EVEN
So, statement I is true
Check the answer choices.... and ELIMINATE B and C, since they state that statement I is not true.

II. (x + z)/y is an integer
Must this be true?
Since x, y and z are consecutive ODD integers, we know that y is 2 greater than x, and z is 4 greater than x.
So, we can write the following:
x = x
y = x + 2
z = x + 4

This means that (x + z)/y = (x + x + 4)/(x + 2)
= (2x + 4)/(x + 2)
= 2
Aha, so (x + z)/y will ALWAYS equal 2 (an integer)
So, statement II is true
Check the answer choices.... and ELIMINATE A, since it states that statement II is not true.

III. xz is even
Since x and z are both ODD, we know that xz = (ODD)(ODD) = ODD
So, statement III is NOT true

Answer: D

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

BTGModeratorVI wrote: ↑
Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:56 am
If x, y, and z are consecutive odd integers, with x < y < z, then which of the following must be true?

I. x + y is even
II. (x+z)/y is an integer
III. xz is even

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I, II, and III

Answer: D
Solution:

Since x, y, and z are consecutive odd integers, x + y = odd + odd = even, and xz = (odd)(odd) = odd. So statement I is true, and statement III is false.

Since x = y - 2 and z = y + 2, then (x + z)/y = (y - 2 + y + 2)/y = 2y/y = 2 is an integer. So statement II is true also.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage
Join the discussion