BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If x is positive, which of the following

Expert replies
by VJesus12 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:16 am
If x is positive, which of the following could be correct ordering of $$\frac{1}{x},\ 2x\ ,\ \ \ \ and\ \ x^2\ ?$$ $$(I)\ \ \ \ x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x}$$ $$(II)\ \ \ x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x$$ (III) 2x <x^2 < 1/x.

(A) none
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) I, II and III

The OA is the option D.

How can I know the correct answer? Experts, I need your help here.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by EconomistGMATTutor » Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:19 am
Hello Vjesus12.

First of all, I want to comment that the third option is not displayed. The third option is: $$(III)\ \ \ 2x<x^2<\frac{1}{x}$$

Let's try with x=1/2. Then $$\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{\frac{1}{2}}=2\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 2x=2\cdot\frac{1}{2}=1\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ x^2=\left(\frac{1}{2}\right)^2=\frac{1}{4}.$$ Therefore, the option (I) is possible.

If x=8/9 then $$\frac{1}{x}=\frac{1}{\frac{8}{9}}=\frac{9}{8}=1.125\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ 2x=2\cdot\frac{8}{9}=\frac{16}{9}=1.777\ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ x^2=\left(\frac{8}{9}\right)^2=\frac{64}{81}=0.79.$$ Therefore, the option can be possible too.

When x is between 1 and 2, the order is 1/x < x^2 < 2x and when x is greater than 2, the order is 1/x < 2x < x^2, but these two options are no in the list.

So, the option (III) can not be possible.

So, the correct answer is [spoiler]D=(I) and (II)[/spoiler].

I hope this explanation may help you.

Feel free to ask me again if you have any doubt.

Regards.
GMAT Prep From The Economist
We offer 70+ point score improvement money back guarantee.
Our average student improves 98 points.

Image
Join the discussion

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Sep 12, 2019 6:18 pm
VJesus12 wrote:If x is positive, which of the following could be correct ordering of $$\frac{1}{x},\ 2x\ ,\ \ \ \ and\ \ x^2\ ?$$ $$(I)\ \ \ \ x^2<2x<\frac{1}{x}$$ $$(II)\ \ \ x^2<\frac{1}{x}<2x$$ (III) 2x <x^2 < 1/x.

(A) none
(B) I only
(C) III only
(D) I and II
(E) I, II and III

The OA is the option D.

How can I know the correct answer? Experts, I need your help here.

First, if x = 1/2, then 1/x = 2, 2x = 1, and x^2 = 1/4; i.e. x^2 < 2x < 1/x. Thus, Roman numeral I is possible. We eliminate answer choice A.

Looking at the answer choices, we see that 1/x is greater than x^2 in every choice; therefore it must be true that x < 1.

For Roman numeral II, in order for 1/x < 2x to hold, we must have 2x^2 > 1, which is equivalent to x^2 > 1/2. This implies that x > 1/√2 or x < -1/√2 (which is not possible because x is positive). Since √2 is roughly 1.41, we see that if we let x = 1/1.4 = 5/7, then we have 1/x = 7/5, 2x = 10/7, and x^2 = 25/49. In this case, we have x^2 < 1/x < 2x and thus, Roman numeral II is also possible.

Finally, for Roman numeral III to be true, we must have x^2 > 2x or equivalently, x^2 - 2x > 0. Factoring the left hand side, we get x(x - 2) > 0. In order for the product of x and (x - 2) to be positive, either both of them must be positive or both of them must be negative. If both x and (x - 2) are positive, then x > 2; but then x^2 > 1/x. If both of them are negative, then x < 0 but this contradicts the fact that x is positive. Therefore, Roman numeral III is not possible.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage
Join the discussion