BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

As a bicycle salesperson, Norman earns a fixed salary of ...

Expert replies
by hengirl03 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:52 am
When I did this problem originally, use the picking numbers technique to find the answer. However, picking numbers didn't really work for I, since some numbers works and other didn't. My question is, how do you know that you are picking all of the numbers that you need to find the answer?

As a bicycle salesperson, Norman earns a fixed salary of $20 per week plus $6 per bicycle for the first six bicycles he sells, $12 per bicycle for the next six bicycles he sells, and $18 per bicycle for every bicycle sold after the first 12. This week, Norman earned more than twice as much as he did last week. If he sold x bicycles last week and y bicycles this week, which of the following statements must be true?

I. y > 2x

II. y > x

III. y > 3

Answer: II and III
[/b]
Join the discussion
Source: — Data Sufficiency |

by mayur00 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:20 am
Plug in x= 1 to 5 and find closest value of y, you'll find that
1. None satisfy the given condition that his earning in one month was 2x the other.
2. Shows that x>3, since x=1 to 5 don't satisfy given condition
3. y>x (obvious)
4. As x increases from 1 to 5, y increases from 5 to something less than 10. Which shows that y < 2x
Join the discussion

by hengirl03 » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:01 pm
For I: if x = 4 and y = 9. Then Norman earned ($20+24 = 44) this week, and ($20+36+36 = 92). So y> 2x.

However, if x = 6 and y = 11. Then Norman earned $56 in the first week, and 116 the next. In this case, $116 > 2 × $56, yet y < 2x.



I still don't know how I can make sure that I choose all of the right answers when solving this problem. Then I first did this problem, I chose x = 4 and y = 9. But I didn't consider the situation where x=6 and y=11.
Join the discussion

by pepeprepa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:19 pm
It is clear that statement one is the most complicated.

y>2x must be true?
Let's try to find a counter-example, if we cannot so it must be true.
In your example, you want Norman to earn more than twice as much as he did last week.
If we chose x=10 and y=18 we have y<2x
Revenue with 10: 20 + 6*6 + 4*12 = 104
Revenue with 18: 20 + 6*6 + 6*12 + 6*18 = 236

We respect the conditions given by the question and we find that it is possible that Norman earns more than twice as much as he did last week and at the same time with y<2x
That's a counter-example to the statement "y>2x must be true".
Join the discussion

by pepeprepa » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:22 pm
hengirl03 wrote:For I: if x = 4 and y = 9. Then Norman earned ($20+24 = 44) this week, and ($20+36+36 = 92). So y> 2x.

However, if x = 6 and y = 11. Then Norman earned $56 in the first week, and 116 the next. In this case, $116 > 2 × $56, yet y < 2x.



I still don't know how I can make sure that I choose all of the right answers when solving this problem. Then I first did this problem, I chose x = 4 and y = 9. But I didn't consider the situation where x=6 and y=11.
I did not precisely read your post.
Indeed, when a question asks you " X must be true", you only need to find a counter-example which respects all the conditions given by the question but wich contradicts X. That's what you did in your post, so do not chose I/
Join the discussion

by alanforde800Maximus » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:46 am
Can we deploy some smart numbers to solve this problem without delving into algebra much?
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:27 pm
Hi All,

To start, we will need to 5 answer choices for reference (as the ability to 'prove' or 'disprove' an answer can help us to eliminate answer choices):

A) I only
B) II only
C) I and II
D) II and III
E) I, II, and III

This Roman Numeral question can be solved with "brute force"; let's map out the possibilities and look for patterns. Based on the given information, here's a table of how much money Norman would make in 1 week (based on the number of bikes sold):

Bikes = Money
0 = $20

1 = $26
2 = $32
3 = $38
4 = $44
5 = $50
6 = $56

7 = $68
8 = $80
9 = $92
10 = $104
11 = $116
12 = $128

13 = $144
14 = $162
Etc. ($18 per additional bike)

We're told that Norman sold X bicycles last week and Y bicycles this week. We also know that he earned MORE THAN TWICE the money he earned in the prior week, so we have to use THAT fact to evaluate what the possibilities could be (within the table above).

II. Y > X

Roman Numeral II is easiest, so we'll start there. Since Norman earned MORE MONEY, he had to have sold MORE bicycles. Thus Y MUST be greater than X (so no heavy work is required here).
Roman Numeral II is TRUE.

III. Y > 3

Here, we can look at the "top" of the table and talk through the possibilities.

If last week, Norman sold ___ bikes last week, then how many would he need to have sold this week, at the MINIMUM, to make MORE than twice the money?
0 bikes....4 or more bikes were sold
1 bike.....6 or more bikes were sold

The second number will just get bigger and bigger. This proves that Y MUST be greater than 3.
Roman Numeral III is TRUE.

I. Y > 2X

For this Roman Numeral, we can continue the work that we did in Roman Numeral II; we have to look to see whether Y is ALWAYS greater than 2X or not...

2 bikes....7 or more bikes were sold
3 bikes....8 or more bikes were sold
4 bikes....9 or more bikes were sold
At this point, notice the ratio of Y to X is getting smaller....?
5 bikes...10 or more bikes were sold.

This last example PROVES that Y isn't always greater than 2X.
Roman Numeral I is NOT ALWAYS TRUE.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion