BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

For a positive integer m, [m] is defined to be the remainder

Expert replies
by Max@Math Revolution » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:49 pm

Timer

00:00

Answers

A

B

C

D

E

Stats

Difficulty—

[GMAT math practice question]

For a positive integer m, [m] is defined to be the remainder when 7m is divided by 3. If n is a positive integer, which of the following are equal to 1?

I. [3n+1]
II. [3n]
III. [3n] + 2

A. I only
B. II only
C. I & II only
D.I & III only
E. I, II, &III
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by deloitte247 » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 am
1 = [3n + 1] means remainder when
$$7\ \left[3n\ +\ 1\right]\ =\ \frac{21\ +\ 7}{3},\ we\ get$$
remainder as 1 , hence [3n + 1 ] = 1

2 = [3n] means remainder when 7 [3n]
= 21n is divided by 3, we get remainder as 0, hence [3n] = 0

3] = [3n] + 2 means remainder when
$$7\ \left[3n\right]+2\ =\ \frac{21n\ +\ 2}{3},\ we\ get\ remainder\ $$
as 2 hence, [3n] + 2
so the expression in 1 yields a value of 1
Therefore, Answer is option A
Join the discussion

by BTGmoderatorLU » Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 pm
I. [3n+1] means remainder when 7(3n+1) = 21n+7 is divided by 3, we get remainder as 1. Hence [3n+1] = 1.

II. [3n] means remainder when 7(3n) = 21n is divided by 3, we get remainder as 0. Hence [3n] = 2.

III. [3n]+2 means remainder when 7(3n)+2 = 21n + 2 is divided by 3, we get remainder as 2. Hence [3n]+2 = 2.

Hence, only I gives remainder as 1. The correct answer is A.
Join the discussion

by Max@Math Revolution » Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:55 pm
=>

Statement I
7(3n+1) = 21n + 7 = 3(7n+2) + 1
Thus, [3n+1] = 1

Statement II
7(3n) = 21n = 3*7n + 0
Thus, [3n] = 0

Statement III
Since [3n] = 0, we have [3n] + 2 = 2.

Thus, only [3n+1] equals 1.

Therefore, the answer is A.

Answer: A
Join the discussion

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 pm
Max@Math Revolution wrote:[GMAT math practice question]

For a positive integer m, [m] is defined to be the remainder when 7m is divided by 3. If n is a positive integer, which of the following are equal to 1?

I. [3n+1]
II. [3n]
III. [3n] + 2

A. I only
B. II only
C. I & II only
D.I & III only
E. I, II, &III
Let's analyze each Roman numeral.

I. [3n+1]

[3n+1] is the remainder when 7(3n + 1) = 21n + 7 is divided by 3. Since 21n is divisible by 3, we see that [3n+1] is equal to the remainder when 7 is divided by 3, which is 1. So I is true.

II. [3n]

[3n] is the remainder when 7(3n) = 21n is divided by 3. Since 21n is divisible by 3, we see that the remainder is 0. So II is not true.

III. [3n] + 2

We saw that in Roman numeral II, [3n] has a remainder 0 when it's divided by 3. So [3n] + 2 has a remainder of 2 when it's divided by 3. III is not true.

Answer: A

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews
Join the discussion