BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If positive integer p divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 1

Expert replies
by swerve » Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:10 pm

Timer

00:00

Answers

A

B

C

D

E

Stats

Difficulty—

If positive integer p divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 1, which of the following must be true?

I. p is even.
II. p is odd.
III. p = 3Z+1 for some integer z.

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

The OA is C.

Please, can anyone explain this PS question? I don't understand why C is the correct answer. I need help. Thanks.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Repost

by Shahrukh_mbabreakspace » Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:21 pm
P leaves 1 as remainder when divided by 9, it means p is of 9x+1 form where x is a non-negative integer
It can be odd or even depending on value of x, so I and II can't be true always.

We can write P as 3*3x +1
This clearly Shows that III is always true and Z is of 3x form.

________________________________________

Shahrukh Moin Khan
QA Mentor at Breakspace
https://www.mbabreakspace.com
PGDM: IIM Calcutta
B.Tech IIT Roorkee
Last edited by Shahrukh_mbabreakspace on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 am
swerve wrote:If positive integer p divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 1, which of the following must be true?

I. p is even.
II. p is odd.
III. p = 3Z+1 for some integer z.

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only
Since dividing p by 9 yields a remainder of 1, p is ONE MORE THAN MULTIPLE OF 9:
p = 9a + 1, where a is a nonnegative integer.
Options for p
1, 10, 19, 28...

If p=1, then Statement I is not true.
Eliminate A, D and E.
If p=10, then Statement II is not true.
Eliminate B.

The correct answer is C.

The expression in blue indicates that Statement III must be true.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:31 pm
swerve wrote:If positive integer p divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 1, which of the following must be true?

I. p is even.
II. p is odd.
III. p = 3Z+1 for some integer z.

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only
We see that p can be values such as 1, 10, 19, 28, ....

Therefore, neither Roman numeral I nor Roman numeral II is true. Furthermore, there is no answer choice stating that none of the Roman numerals is true.

Thus, the Roman numeral that must be true is that p = 3z+1 for some integer z.

Alternate Solution:

Since positive integer p divided by 9 leaves a remainder of 1, we have:

p/9 = Q + 1/9

p = 9Q + 1

Thus, p can be values such as 1, 10, 19, 28, ....

Thus, p can be either even or odd.

Now we can look at Roman numeral III:

p = 3z + 1 for some integer z.

Recall that we have expressed that p = 9Q + 1, so p = 3(3Q) + 1. We see that if we let z = 3Q, we can express p as 3z + 1. So Roman numeral III is true.

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage
Join the discussion