BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If x = 3y = 4z, which of the following must equal 6x ?

Expert replies
by VJesus12 » Mon May 21, 2018 8:06 am

Timer

00:00

Answers

A

B

C

D

E

Stats

Difficulty—

If x = 3y = 4z, which of the following must equal 6x?

I. 18y
II. 3y + 20z
III. (4y + 10z)/3

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

The OA is the option D.

How can I prove that the correct option is the option D? Could anyone clarify this question to me? Thanks in advance.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 21, 2018 8:47 am
VJesus12 wrote:If x = 3y = 4z, which of the following must equal 6x?

I. 18y
II. 3y + 20z
III. (4y + 10z)/3

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only
Let's examine each statement

I. 18y
Given: x = 3y
Multiply both sides by 6 to get: 6x = 18y
Perfect!
Statement I is TRUE
Check the answer choices.....ELIMINATE B and C since they state that statement I is not true.

II. 3y + 20z
Given: x = 3y
Also, since x = 4z, we can multiply both sides by 5 to get: 5x = 20z
Now notice that 6x = x + 5x
= 3y + 20z
Perfect!
Statement II is TRUE
Check the answer choices.....ELIMINATE A and E since they state that statement II is not true.

By the process of elimination, the correct answer is D

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Mon May 21, 2018 6:39 pm
Hi VJesus12,

We're told that X = 3Y = 4Z. We're asked which of the following must equal 6X. This question can be solved in a couple of different ways, including by TESTing VALUES.

IF....
X=12, Y=4, Z=3.....then we're looking for values that equal 6(12) = 72.

I. 18Y

18(4) = 72, so Roman Numeral 1 equals 6X. Eliminate Answers B and C.

II. 3Y + 20Z

3(4) + 20(3) = 12+60 = 72, so Roman Numeral 2 equals 6X. Eliminate Answers A and E. We can technically stop here (since there's only one Answer left). However, we can still disprove Roman Numeral 3....

III. (4Y + 10Z)/3

[4(4) + 10(3)]/3 = 46/3 so Roman Numeral 3 does NOT equal 6X.

Final Answer: D

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Tue May 22, 2018 5:20 pm
VJesus12 wrote:If x = 3y = 4z, which of the following must equal 6x?

I. 18y
II. 3y + 20z
III. (4y + 10z)/3

(A) I only
(B) II only
(C) III only
(D) I and II only
(E) I and III only

Let's analyze each Roman numeral choices.

I. 18y

18y = 6(3y) = 6x

Yes, I is true.

II. 3y + 20z

3y + 20z = 3y + 5(4z) = x + 5x = 6x

Yes, II is true.

At this point, since there is only one answer choice which includes I and II, we know the answer is D. However, let's also analyze Roman numeral III as an exercise:

III. (4y + 10z)/3

Since x = 3y, y = x/3. Likewise, since x = 4z, z = x/4. Thus we have:

(4y + 10z)/3 = (4(x/3) + 10(x/4))/3 = (4x/3 + 5x/2)/3 = 4x/9 + 5x/6 = 8x/18 + 15x/18 = 23x/18

We see that III is not true.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage
Join the discussion