BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Before being simplified, the instructions for computing

Expert replies
by BTGmoderatorLU » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Timer

00:00

Answers

A

B

C

D

E

Stats

Difficulty—

Before being simplified, the instructions for computing income tax in country R were to add 2 percent of one's annual income to the average(arithmetic mean) of 100 units of Country R's currency and 1 percent of one's annual income. Which of the following represents the simplified formula for computing the income tax, in country R's currency, for a person in that country whose annual income is I?

A. 50 + I/200
B. 50 + 3I/100
C. 50+ I/40
D. 100+ I/50
E. 100+ 3I/100

The OA is C.

Please, can anyone assist me with this PS question? I don't know how can I solve it. Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by [email protected] » Fri Apr 20, 2018 4:00 pm
Hi All,

We're told that before being simplified, the instructions for computing income tax in country R were to ADD 2 percent of one's annual income to the AVERAGE of 100 units of Country R's currency and 1 percent of one's annual income. We're asked which of the following represents the simplified formula for computing the income tax, in country R's currency, for a person in that country whose annual income is I. This question can be solved by TESTing VALUES.

To start, I'm going to use the variable "J" instead of an "I" (since that might be mistaken for the number 1)...

We're told to add "2% of one's income" to "the average of 100 and 1% of one's income"

Let's TEST J = 100

So we're adding 2% of 100 to (100 + 1% of 100)/2....

2 + 101/2 =
2 + 50.5 =
52.5

So we're looking for an answer that equals 52.5 when J = 100. There's only one answer that matches...

Final Answer: C

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion

by swerve » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:31 am
I- income
0.02I - 2% of I ; 0.01I - 1% of I ; 100 units - i count as 100.

so

0.02I + (100+0.01I)/2 --> (0.04I+100+0.01I)/2

(100+0.05I)/2

50 + 0.05I/2 -- (0.05I/2 --> 5I/200 --> I/40)

50+I/40

Hence Answer is C.

Regards!
Join the discussion

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Thu Apr 26, 2018 3:04 pm
BTGmoderatorLU wrote:Before being simplified, the instructions for computing income tax in country R were to add 2 percent of one's annual income to the average(arithmetic mean) of 100 units of Country R's currency and 1 percent of one's annual income. Which of the following represents the simplified formula for computing the income tax, in country R's currency, for a person in that country whose annual income is I?

A. 50 + I/200
B. 50 + 3I/100
C. 50+ I/40
D. 100+ I/50
E. 100+ 3I/100
We are given that the instructions for computing income tax in country R were to add 2 percent of one's annual income to the average (arithmetic mean) of 100 units of country R's currency and 1 percent of one's annual income. We need to determine the formula for computing the tax for a person who earns "I" annual income.

The expression is as follows:

0.02I + (100 + 0.01I)/2

2I/100 + (100 + I/100)/2

2I/100 + 100/2 + I/200

2I/100 + 50+ I/200

50 + 4I/200 + I/200

50 + 5I/200

50 + I/40

Answer: C

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage
Join the discussion