BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

When thw integer x is divided by the integer y, the

Expert replies
by AAPL » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:30 am

Timer

00:00

Answers

A

B

C

D

E

Stats

Difficulty—

When the integer x is divided by the integer y, the remainder is 60. Which of the following is a possible value of the quotient x/y?

I. 15.15
II. 18.16
III. 17.17

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

The OA is D.

I don't have a clue how this will be solved. Can someone please help? Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:43 am
AAPL wrote:When the integer x is divided by the integer y, the remainder is 60. Which of the following is a possible value of the quotient x/y?

I. 15.15
II. 18.16
III. 17.17

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only
When one positive integer is divided by another, we typically represent what's left over either as a REMAINDER or as a DECIMAL.
There is a relationship between the two representations:

Remainder/Divisor = Decimal.

When 5 is divided by 2:
Remainder representation: 5/2 = 2 R1.
Decimal representations: 5/2 = 2.5.
Remainder/Divisor = 1/2.
Decimal = 0.5.
Since the two values are equal:
Remainder/divisor = decimal.

It can be helpful to write the decimal representation AS A FRACTION IN ITS MOST REDUCED FORM.

In the problem above:
Remainder = 60.
Divisor = y.


Statement I:
Here, the decimal = 0.15 = 15/100 = 3/20.
Plugging the value in red and the blue values above into remainder/divisor = decimal, we get:
60/y = 3/20
3y = 20*60.
y = 20*20.
Since y is an integer value, Statement I is a valid option.
Eliminate B and C, which do not include Statement I.

Statement II:
Here, the decimal = 0.16 = 16/100 = 4/25.
Plugging the value in red and the blue values above into remainder/divisor = decimal, we get:
60/y = 4/25
4y = 25*60.
y = 25*15.
Since y is an integer value, Statement II is a valid option.
Eliminate A and E, which do not include Statement II.

The correct answer is D.

A similar problem in the OG:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/dealing-wit ... 69971.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:39 pm
AAPL wrote:When the integer x is divided by the integer y, the remainder is 60. Which of the following is a possible value of the quotient x/y?

I. 15.15
II. 18.16
III. 17.17

A. I only
B. II only
C. III only
D. I and II only
E. I and III only

Letting Q = the quotient, we can use the expression:

x/y = Q + 60/y

We see that 60/y is the remainder. We can set this to the decimal portion of each value in the Roman numerals and solve for y.

I. 15.15

60/y = 0.15

60 = 0.15y

y = 60/0.15 = 6000/15 = 400

We see that 15.15 could be a value of x/y since we have y as an integer.

II. 18.16

60/y = 0.16

60 = 0.16y

y = 60/0.16 = 6000/16 = 375

We see that 18.16 could be a value of x/y since we have y as an integer.

III. 17.17

60/y = 0.17

60 = 0.17y

y = 60/0.17 = 6000/17 = 352.94

We see that 17.17 could NOT be a value of x/y since we DON'T have y as an integer.

Answer: D

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews
Join the discussion