Mo2men wrote:Is |xy| > x^2*y^2 ?
(1) 0 < x^2 < 1/4
(2) 0 < y^2 < 1/9
|xy| > x²y² ?
Since neither an absolute value not the square of a value can be negative, both sides are of the inequality above are NONNEGATIVE.
Thus, we can safely square the inequality:
x²y² > x�y�.
Since the resulting inequality is valid only if x and y are NONZERO, we can now safely divide both sides by x²y², which must be POSITIVE:
(x²y²)/(x²y²) > (x�y�)/(x²y²)
1 > x²y².
Question stem, rephrased:
Is x²y² < 1, where x and y are nonzero?
Statement 1:
No information about y².
INSUFFICIENT.
Statement 2:
No information about x².
Statements combined:
Since x² and y² are both positive fractions, x²y² < 1, where x and y are nonzero.
SUFFICIENT.
The correct answer is
C.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.
As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.
For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at
[email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3