BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

If 0<2x+3y<10 and -10<3x+2y<0, then which of the

Expert replies
by Max@Math Revolution » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:35 am
[GMAT math practice question]

$$If\ \ 0<2x+3y<0\ and\ -10<3x+2y<0$$ , then which of the following must be true?

I. x<0
II. y<0
III. x<y

A. I only
B . II only
C. I & II
D.I & III
E. I, II, &III
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:18 am
Max@Math Revolution wrote:[GMAT math practice question]

$$If\ \ 0<2x+3y<10\ and\ -10<3x+2y<0$$ , then which of the following must be true?

I. x<0
II. y<0
III. x < y

A. I only
B . II only
C. I & II
D.I & III
E. I, II, &III
Since 3x+2y < 0 and 0 < 2x+3y, we get:
3x+2y < 0 < 2x+3y
3x+2y < 2x+3y
x < y.
Thus, Statement III must be true.
Eliminate A, B and C.

The remaining answer choices both include Statements I and III.
Test whether Statement II must be true.
If we substitute y=1 into -10 < 3x+2y < 0 and 0 < 2x+3y < 10, we get:
-10 < 3x + (2*1) < 0
-10 < 3x+2 < 0
-12 < 3x < -2.

0 < 2x + (3*1) < 10
0 < 2x+3 < 10
-3 < 2x < 7.

The inequalities in blue are both satisfied by x=-1.
Since it's possible that y=1 and x=-1, Statement II does not have to be true.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 am
Max@Math Revolution wrote:[GMAT math practice question]

$$If\ \ 0<2x+3y<0\ and\ -10<3x+2y<0$$ , then which of the following must be true?

I. x<0
II. y<0
III. x<y

A. I only
B . II only
C. I & II
D.I & III
E. I, II, &III
We see that x and y can't be both positive or both negative. If x and y are both positive, then the second inequality will not hold. Similarly, if x and y are both negative, then the first inequality will not hold. Therefore, we must consider two separate cases: (1) x is negative and y is positive and (2) x is positive and y is negative.

Case 1. Let's assume that x is negative and y is positive.
For example, If x = -5 and y = 5, we see that we do have 0 < 2x + 3y < 10 and -10 < 3x + 2y < 0.

Case 2. Now let's assume that x is positive and y is negative. We see that the absolute value of y must be greater than the absolute value of x in order for the second inequality to hold.
For example, if x = 2, y has to be less than -3 in order to have -10 < 3x + 2y < 0. However, in that case, the first inequality will never hold since 2x + 3y will be negative. Thus we can't have x as positive and y as negative.
Thus it must be true that x is negative and y is positive and in that case we also have x < y. Thus, Statements I and III must be true.

Answer: D

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage
Join the discussion

by Mo2men » Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:38 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
Max@Math Revolution wrote:[GMAT math practice question]

$$If\ \ 0<2x+3y<10\ and\ -10<3x+2y<0$$ , then which of the following must be true?

I. x<0
II. y<0
III. x < y

A. I only
B . II only
C. I & II
D.I & III
E. I, II, &III
Since 3x+2y < 0 and 0 < 2x+3y, we get:
3x+2y < 0 < 2x+3y
3x+2y < 2x+3y
x < y.
Thus, Statement III must be true.
Eliminate A, B and C.

The remaining answer choices both include Statements I and III.
Test whether Statement II must be true.
If we substitute y=1 into -10 < 3x+2y < 0 and 0 < 2x+3y < 10, we get:
-10 < 3x + (2*1) < 0
-10 < 3x+2 < 0
-12 < 3x < -2.

0 < 2x + (3*1) < 10
0 < 2x+3 < 10
-3 < 2x < 7.

The inequalities in blue are both satisfied by x=-1.
Since it's possible that y=1 and x=-1, Statement II does not have to be true.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Dear Micth,

Can we sum up the 2 inequalities? it will be as follows:

-10 < 5x + 5y < 10...........-2 < x + y < 2

In that case, x could be 1 & y could be 0 or vice versa
so I & II are invalid.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:28 pm
The converse of If A, then B is If B, then A.
The converse of an if-then statement is not necessarily true.
Consider the following case:
If John is in San Francisco, then John is in the United States.
The if-then statement above is true.
Converse:
If John is in the United States, then John is in San Francisco.
The converse in red is not necessarily true.
Mo2men wrote:
Max@Math Revolution wrote:[GMAT math practice question]

$$If\ \ 0<2x+3y<10\ and\ -10<3x+2y<0$$ , then which of the following must be true?

I. x<0
II. y<0
III. x < y

A. I only
B . II only
C. I & II
D.I & III
E. I, II, &III
Can we sum up the 2 inequalities? it will be as follows:

-10 < 5x + 5y < 10...........-2 < x + y < 2

In that case, x could be 1 & y could be 0 or vice versa
so I & II are invalid.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks
Your algebra is correct.
The inequality in blue implies the following if-then statement:
If x and y satisfy the two inequalities, then x and y have a sum between -2 and 2.
The if-then statement above is true.
Converse:
If x and y have a sum between -2 and 2, then x and y satisfy the two inequalities.
The converse in red is not necessarily true.
Thus, we cannot conclude that ANY x-y combination with a sum between -2 and 2 will satisfy the two original inequalities.
Neither of your cases in red satisfies -10 < 3x+2y < 0.

An analogous example:
If we add together x>0 and y>0, we get x+y > 0.
Implied if-then statement:
If x>0 and y>0, then x+y > 0.
The if-then statement above is true.
Converse:
If x+y > 0, then x>0 and y>0.
The converse in red is not necessarily true:
If x=-1 and y=2, then x+y > 0 but x<0.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

EDIT

by Max@Math Revolution » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:32 pm
=>
Label the inequalities as follows:
0<2x+3y<10 --- (1)
-10<3x+2y<0 --- (2)
We consider each statement individually.

Statement I:
Multiplying (1) by -2 yields -20 < -4x - 6y < 0, and multiplying (2) by 3 yields -30 < 9x + 6y < 0. Adding these inequalities gives -50 < 5x < 0 or -10 < x < 0.
This statement is true.

Statement II:
Multiplying (1) by 3 yields 0 < 6x + 9y < 30, and multiplying (2) by -3 yields 0 < -6x - 4y < 20. Adding these inequalities gives 0 < 5y < 50 or 0 < y < 10.
This statement is false.

Statement III:
Multiplying (1) by - 1 yields -10 < -2x - 3y < 0. Adding this to inequality (2) yields -20 < x - y < 0.
This implies that x < y, and statement III is true.

Therefore, the answer is D.
Answer: D
Join the discussion