Mo2men wrote:Is x greater than 1?
(1) 1/x > −1
(2) 1/x^5 > 1/x^3
Statement 1:
It's possible that x=2 (in which case the answer to the question stem is YES) or that x=1 (in which case the answer to the question stem is NO).
INSUFFICIENT.
Statement 2:
The inequality in Statement 2 implies that x is nonzero, since division by 0 is not allowed.
Implication:
We can multiply the inequality by ANY EVEN POWER OF X, since (nonzero number)^(even power) = positive.
Multiplying each side by x�, we get:
x�/x� > x�/x³
x > x³.
When a value greater than 1 is cubed, the result is GREATER then the original value.
Thus, no value greater than 1 will satisfy x > x³, implying that x is NOT greater than 1.
SUFFICIENT.
The correct answer is
B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.
As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.
For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at
[email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3