BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Wait Listed at Carlson SOM: Advice needed!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
Expert replies
by meeh1872 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:45 am
This is my first time posting, although I've been a silent creeper for several months,

I got wait listed at the Carlson SOM (Minneapolis, MN) and asked the associate director of the adcom what their apprehensions were. 1) Undergrad GPA 2) GMAT 3) not as important, but possible long gap in work history from quitting my job (OCT16) to matriculation this fall (AUG17).

Me on paper: 25 years old, 2.8 undergrad GPA, 640 GMAT (38V/41Q/5.5AWA/5IR), 2.5 years work experience in finance, Officer in Army National Guard, 3 out of 6 years completed on my military contract, have received recognition and awards both in civilian job and military job for performance and leadership.

A quick narrative about myself: Went to a well known private catholic school in MN for undergrad and went through the U of M's Army ROTC program. My intent was to get selected for active duty and have a career in the military. Because of this, I spent almost all of my undergrad focusing my time/effort/focus on the ROTC program and neglected my undergrad GPA. My reasoning was that I'd be better suited to lead troops if I focused on the Army versus macro economics, theology, etc. The weighted selection criteria the Army uses in their decision to place you Active Duty vs Reserve/National Guard changed my senior year from lowish emphasis on academics and higher emphasis on actual Army stuff, to heavily favor undergrad GPA versus actual "warrior tasks". I was ranked very highly in the warrior tasks, but GPA was really weak, and suddenly I found myself needing to find a civilian job. My GPA isn't a reflection of my intellect, but a reflection of a calculated decision I made based on my desired military career goals (Although I probably could have focused on both, but that's 3 years ago and I can't change it).

I found finance, loved it. Worked as a personal financial planner for 2 years - found investment banking last October and knew I where I wanted to make my "career". Quit my job, devoted all of my time to MBA pursuit. Being 2.5 years out of school and with app deadlines rapidly approaching, I took about a month (Oct-Nov) of devoted time to self study for the GMAT. Raised initial practice score of 550 (31V/34Q/5IR) to a 640 (38V/41Q/5IR) in 17 days of studying around 7-8 hrs. I took another month (Nov-Dec) to complete all my essays (I applied to 9 schools, Carlson and the rest all top 10 schools - I knew it was a prayer). I got invited to interview late in Jan at Carlson, and did very well (36 out of 42, biggest ding was lower-than-average work experience), then I received notification I had been wait listed about a week ago. Carlson really values their service members which helps a lot, but apparently my GMAT is about 40 points below their average, and my GPA is on the cusp of acceptable to competitive. The associate director of the adcom at Carlson recommended I retake the GMAT; they won't review the wait listed folks until late April so I have another month of study time.

What I would appreciate feedback on: What would give me the most ROI for this month? Are 1 on 1 tutoring sessions worth it? Would I be better served self-studying solely quant for the next month? Note: I've always been good at the English language, I got my 38V/5.5AWA score with about 3 total hours of studying.

Thank you so much in advance, I apologize for writing a novel.
Join the discussion
Source: — Ask an MBA Admissions Consultant |

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:11 pm
meeh1872 wrote:This is my first time posting, although I've been a silent creeper for several months,
Other than telling Carlson that you would accept a spot (on the spot) if accepted (if that is true), then I think the next best thing ou can do is to study for the GMAT- and hope you can get a better score by April as I bet that might in fact move the needle. I'm not sure if 1 on 1 will be best for you- depends on what type of learner you are- but I would say that it likely won't hurt and if it helps you get in it will be well worth the investment. That's really the biggest thing you can change in a month or 2- you can't fix the work experience or the GPA but if you do study like crazy you may be able to make a dent in the GMAT and I bet that will help some. Good luck to you!
I got wait listed at the Carlson SOM (Minneapolis, MN) and asked the associate director of the adcom what their apprehensions were. 1) Undergrad GPA 2) GMAT 3) not as important, but possible long gap in work history from quitting my job (OCT16) to matriculation this fall (AUG17).

Me on paper: 25 years old, 2.8 undergrad GPA, 640 GMAT (38V/41Q/5.5AWA/5IR), 2.5 years work experience in finance, Officer in Army National Guard, 3 out of 6 years completed on my military contract, have received recognition and awards both in civilian job and military job for performance and leadership.

A quick narrative about myself: Went to a well known private catholic school in MN for undergrad and went through the U of M's Army ROTC program. My intent was to get selected for active duty and have a career in the military. Because of this, I spent almost all of my undergrad focusing my time/effort/focus on the ROTC program and neglected my undergrad GPA. My reasoning was that I'd be better suited to lead troops if I focused on the Army versus macro economics, theology, etc. The weighted selection criteria the Army uses in their decision to place you Active Duty vs Reserve/National Guard changed my senior year from lowish emphasis on academics and higher emphasis on actual Army stuff, to heavily favor undergrad GPA versus actual "warrior tasks". I was ranked very highly in the warrior tasks, but GPA was really weak, and suddenly I found myself needing to find a civilian job. My GPA isn't a reflection of my intellect, but a reflection of a calculated decision I made based on my desired military career goals (Although I probably could have focused on both, but that's 3 years ago and I can't change it).

I found finance, loved it. Worked as a personal financial planner for 2 years - found investment banking last October and knew I where I wanted to make my "career". Quit my job, devoted all of my time to MBA pursuit. Being 2.5 years out of school and with app deadlines rapidly approaching, I took about a month (Oct-Nov) of devoted time to self study for the GMAT. Raised initial practice score of 550 (31V/34Q/5IR) to a 640 (38V/41Q/5IR) in 17 days of studying around 7-8 hrs. I took another month (Nov-Dec) to complete all my essays (I applied to 9 schools, Carlson and the rest all top 10 schools - I knew it was a prayer). I got invited to interview late in Jan at Carlson, and did very well (36 out of 42, biggest ding was lower-than-average work experience), then I received notification I had been wait listed about a week ago. Carlson really values their service members which helps a lot, but apparently my GMAT is about 40 points below their average, and my GPA is on the cusp of acceptable to competitive. The associate director of the adcom at Carlson recommended I retake the GMAT; they won't review the wait listed folks until late April so I have another month of study time.

What I would appreciate feedback on: What would give me the most ROI for this month? Are 1 on 1 tutoring sessions worth it? Would I be better served self-studying solely quant for the next month? Note: I've always been good at the English language, I got my 38V/5.5AWA score with about 3 total hours of studying.

Thank you so much in advance, I apologize for writing a novel.
Join the discussion