BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

For each positive integer n, p(n)

Expert replies
by NandishSS » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:04 am
For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the digits of n. For example, p(724)=56 since 7∗2∗4=56

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. p(10n)=p(n)

II. p(n+1)>p(n)

III. p(2n)=2p(n)

--

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

OA:A

Source: GMATPrep EP2
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:18 am
NandishSS wrote:For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the digits of n. For example, p(724)=56 since 7∗2∗4=56

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. p(10n)=p(n)

II. p(n+1)>p(n)

III. p(2n)=2p(n)

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III
Try to prove that I, II and III do NOT have to be true.

Case 1: n=1

I: p(10n) = p(n)
p(10n) = p(10*1) = p(10) = 1*0 = 0.
p(n) = p(1) = 1.
Since p(10n) ≠ p(n), Statement I does not have to be true.
Eliminate B, C and E.

II: p(n+1) > p(n)

In Case 1, p(10n) < p(n).
The reason is that 10n includes a digit of 0.
To show that Statement II does not have to be true, test a case in which n+1 includes a digit of 0.

Case 2: n=9, with the result that n+1 = 10

p(n+1) = p(9+1) = p(10) = 1*0 = 0.
p(n) = p(9) = 9.
Since p(n+1) < p(n), Statement II does not have to be true.
Eliminate D.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Jay@ManhattanReview » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:42 pm
NandishSS wrote:For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the digits of n. For example, p(724)=56 since 7∗2∗4=56

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. p(10n)=p(n)

II. p(n+1)>p(n)

III. p(2n)=2p(n)

--

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III

OA:A

Source: GMATPrep EP2
This is a must-be-true type of question.

For these types of questions, our attempt must be to find at least one extreme case that would break the given claims (options).

The moment I saw p(724) = 7*2*4 = 56, I thought what would happen if there were a 0 digit in the function; for example, p(7240) = 7*2*4*0 = 0.

So p(724) > p(7240) => p(724) > p(724*10).

So, there could be a role of a multiplicand 10.

Let us try to break each of the given statements.

I. p(10n) = p(n): We have already seen above that p(724) > p(7240) OR p(10n) < p(n) for this case. Not true!

II. p(n+1) > p(n): It would fail if n = 9 => n+1 = 10.

III. p(2n) = 2p(n): It would fail if n = 5 => 2n = 10.

Thus, none is correct.

OA: A

-Jay

_________________
Manhattan Review GMAT Prep

Locations: New York | Warsaw | Cape Town | Madrid | and many more...

Schedule your free consultation with an experienced GMAT Prep Advisor! Click here.
Join the discussion

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:59 am
NandishSS wrote:For each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the digits of n. For example, p(724)=56 since 7 x 2 x 4=56

Which of the following statements must be true?

I. p(10n)=p(n)

II. p(n+1)>p(n)

III. p(2n)=2p(n)

--

A. None
B. I and II only
C. I and III only
D. II and III only
E. I, II, and III
We are given that for each positive integer n, p(n) is defined to be the product of the digits of n. Let's analyze each Roman numeral to determine which MUST be true.

I. p(10n)=p(n)

We can determine that 10n will always end in a zero (since any integer multiplied by 10 will always end in a zero). Thus, the p(10n) will always equal zero. Since p(n) does not always have to equal zero, p(10n) does not necessarily have to equal p(n). For example, if n = 24, then p(n) = 2 x 4 = 8; but p(10n) = p(240) = 2 x 4 x 0 = 0. Roman numeral I is not always true.

II. p(n+1) > p(n)

Roman numeral II does not always have to be true. For instance, if n = 9, then:

P(9 + 1) = p(10) = 0

and

p(9) = 9

In this case we see that p(n+1) IS NOT greater than p(n). Roman numeral II is not always true.

III. p(2n)=2p(n)

Roman numeral III does not always have to be true. For instance, if n = 9, then:

P(2 x 9) = p(18) = 1 x 8 = 8

and

2p(9) = 2 x 9 = 18

In this case we see that p(2n) DOES NOT equal 2p(n). Roman numeral III is not always true.

Answer: A

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

Image

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage
Join the discussion