BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

OG mix problem and alligation technique

Expert replies
by Mo2men » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:00 am
At a certain fruit stand, the price of each apple is 40 cents and the price of each orange is 60 cents. Mary selects a total of 10 apples and oranges from the fruit stand, and the average (arithmetic mean) price of the 10 pieces of fruit is 56 cents. How many oranges must Mary put back so that the average price of the pieces of fruit that she keeps is 52 cents?

(A) 1
(B) 2
(C) 3
(D) 4
(E) 5

I'm confused about use the alligation technique in this problem. How can I create common denominator for the apple and orange??
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:07 am
I post two approaches here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-certain-fo ... 16515.html
The second post discusses how to use alligation.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Mo2men » Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:38 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:I post two approaches here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-certain-fo ... 16515.html
The second post discusses how to use alligation.
Thanks for your reply.

I have read the link attached above. You always create common denominator. However, This is not clear for me how the denominatr is the same. I copied first step from the other post.

Step 1: Plot the 3 averages on a number line, with the average apple cost (40) and the average orange cost (60) on the ends and the average cost of all the fruit (56) in the middle.
A(40)--------------------56-------O(60)

I hope you clear my confusion.

Thanks
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:22 am
Mo2men wrote:
GMATGuruNY wrote:I post two approaches here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/a-certain-fo ... 16515.html
The second post discusses how to use alligation.
Thanks for your reply.

I have read the link attached above. You always create common denominator. However, This is not clear for me how the denominatr is the same. I copied first step from the other post.

Step 1: Plot the 3 averages on a number line, with the average apple cost (40) and the average orange cost (60) on the ends and the average cost of all the fruit (56) in the middle.
A(40)--------------------56-------O(60)

I hope you clear my confusion.

Thanks
Alligation does not require that the values in the number line be over a common denominator.
In some of my solutions -- for example, my second post at https://www.beatthegmat.com/alligation-t283497.html -- I put the fractions over a common denominator to make the math easier.
But this step is not required.
Here, alligation can be performed directly with the given averages.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion