BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Set A consists of K distinct numbers. If N numbers are selec

Expert replies
by richachampion » Sun Sep 11, 2016 12:14 am
Set A consists of K distinct numbers. If N numbers are selected from the set one-by-one, where N≤K, what is the probability that numbers will be selected in ascending order?


(1) Set A consists of 12 even consecutive integers."‹"‹
(2) N=5

OA: B
R I C H A,
My GMAT Journey: 470 → 720 → 740
Target Score: 760+
[email protected]
1. Press thanks if you like my solution.
2. Contact me if you are not improving. (No Free Lunch!)
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:49 am
richachampion wrote:Set A consists of K distinct numbers. If N numbers are selected from the set one-by-one, where N≤K, what is the probability that numbers will be selected in ascending order?

(1) Set A consists of 12 even consecutive integers."‹"‹
(2) N=5
Statement 1:
Case 1: n=2
Here, 2 distinct numbers are selected.
The number of orderings in which 2 distinct numbers can be selected = 2!.
Since only one of these 2! ways will be in ascending order, P(ascending order) = 1/2!.

Case 2: n=5
Here, 5 distinct numbers are selected.
The number of orderings in which 5 distinct numbers can be selected = 5!.
Since only one of these 5! ways will be in ascending order, P(ascending order) = 1/5!.

Since the probability can be different values, INSUFFICIENT.

Statement 2:
As illustrated by Case 2, if n=5, then P(ascending order) = 1/5!.
SUFFICIENT.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:13 pm
Let's try a few sets before going to the answer choices, so we can get a feel for what's happening.

Suppose the set is {1, 2, 3, 4}, and I'm picking two numbers.

I need the first number to be the smaller one, so the probability is 1/2.

OK, now suppose I'm picking three numbers. I need the first to be the smallest (1/3), then the next to be the smaller of the two remaining (1/2), so the probability is 1/6.

Hmmm ... sure looks like my probability is 1/x!, where x is the number that I'm picking. Let's try one more: suppose I'm picking all four numbers. I need the smallest first (1/4), then the smallest of the three remaining (1/3), then the smallest of the two remaining (1/2) ... aha! So it is 1/(4*3*2), or 1/4!, or 1/24.

With that in mind, all I need to know is how many numbers I'm picking, i.e. N, and the answer is 1/N!. That means all statement that gives me N is fine, so S2 alone sufficient.
Join the discussion