BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATBootcamp Starts Sep 28
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE BOOTCAMP

Live Online Bootcamp Class with Top GMAT Expert Chris Peckover

15 live classes from Sep 28, 2026

Schedule
Mon to Fri · 7:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Included
Live classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Boost your GMAT score in less than one month in a live online class
  • 6 months access to TTP OnDemand video courses included
View bootcamp & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeach 5 seats left
Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll
Limited cohort · enrollment openTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Need help with explanation of low master's GPA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
Expert replies
by arkhman » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:23 pm
Hi!

I'm applying to several US schools and going to submit all of my applications by the Round 2 deadlines but I have one obstacle on my way. I am not sure how to properly explain my low masters degree GPA (3.5 out of 5.3). Just to let you know My undergrad GPA is the maximum possible 5.0/5.0 and in addition to all of this I have 760 total GMAT score.

The reason of my low master's GPA is the illness of my grandma. Because of this illnes my mother was very upset all the time and I had to fly often to my hometown to help her somehow overcome this situation. Despite all of this I was able to increase my GPA from 3.3 in the first year to 3.7 in the second year making my overall GPA 3.5. In my primary focus on financial subjects, I had a GPA of 4.0.

Could you advise me what is a better choice in my case: raise the issue by explaining the circumstances provided above or just to write nothing in the optional essay?

Waiting for your reply!
Join the discussion
Source: — Ask an MBA Admissions Consultant |

by Dozie@VeritasPrep » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:19 pm
I know it is a bit late but what approach did you choose. I probably would have gone the say nothing route as this seems a bit hard to explain and may come across as making excuses. Hope it went well!
Veritas Prep | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant

Find the expert who's right for you. Meet our team!
Register for a free MBA Admissions Workshop!
Join the discussion

by Andre Torres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm
Dear,

First of all, I hope you figured out a way to make your GPA work in your application. I too am very curious about how you chose to handle the issue, so please share this with us.

Secondly, I would like to provide my advice for the sake of applicants in similar situations.

I don't see a problem with mentioning the reason for your low GPA for one or two paragraphs in the optional essay. It's the reality. Moreover I believe acknowledging that there is a problem, instead of pretending the admission committee isn't going to notice it, will benefit you.

However it shouldn't be the center of your essay or be presented in an apologetic manner. You don't want to make it look like a bad excuse.
Admission Consultant at MBAitNOW
Visit mbaitnow.com and sign up for a FREE consultation.
Join the discussion

by Andre Torres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:08 pm
Dear,

First of all, I hope you figured out a way to make your GPA work in your application. I too am very curious about how you chose to handle the issue, so please share this with us.

Secondly, I would like to provide my advice for the sake of applicants in similar situations.

I don't see a problem with mentioning the reason for your low GPA for one or two paragraphs in the optional essay. It's the reality. Moreover I believe acknowledging that there is a problem, instead of pretending the admission committee isn't going to notice it, will benefit you.

However it shouldn't be the center of your essay or be presented in an apologetic manner. You don't want to make it look like a bad excuse.
Admission Consultant at MBAitNOW
Visit mbaitnow.com and sign up for a FREE consultation.
Join the discussion

by Andre Torres » Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:09 pm
Dear,

First of all, I hope you figured out a way to make your GPA work in your application. I too am very curious about how you chose to handle the issue, so please share this with us.

Secondly, I would like to provide my advice for the sake of applicants in similar situations.

I don't see a problem with mentioning the reason for your low GPA for one or two paragraphs in the optional essay. It's the reality. Moreover I believe acknowledging that there is a problem, instead of pretending the admission committee isn't going to notice it, will benefit you.

However it shouldn't be the center of your essay or be presented in an apologetic manner. You don't want to make it look like a bad excuse.
Admission Consultant at MBAitNOW
Visit mbaitnow.com and sign up for a FREE consultation.
Join the discussion