BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Interpreting Angles/Right Triangles/Rectangles

Expert replies
by mindful » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:49 am
I don't want to ask the entire question as I still want to answer it myself. However, there is something (a step) I would like to confirm that I have encountered in the question.

Suppose there is a figure ABCD that very much looks like a rectangle. We are given: ANGLE BAD is 90 degrees; ANGLE BCD is also 90 degrees. Can I assume that the figure is a rectangle?

My take: I think not. What if ANGLE ABC and ANGLE ADC are not 90 degrees each? I have no way to know. Am I right? (There is also a diagonal drawn, from B to D, and I know the value of ONE of the angles (say, DBC) inside the resultant triangle BCD, but I am not even going there yet.) Based on this information that I have, is my conclusion right? I would be grateful for any insights.

Kindly shed some light. My attempt at the figure, below:

B_______________________________C
| |
| |
| |
|_____________ __________________|
A D
Last edited by mindful on Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by mindful » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:51 am
Whoops. The figure didn't quite come out the way I intended it to (though when I constructed it, it looked fine.) Hope you can figure out the labelling anyway.
Join the discussion

by theCEO » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:15 am
mindful wrote:I don't want to ask the entire question as I still want to answer it myself. However, there is something (a step) I would like to confirm that I have encountered in the question.

Suppose there is a figure ABCD that very much looks like a rectangle. We are given: ANGLE BAD is 90 degrees; ANGLE BCD is also 90 degrees. Can I assume that the figure is a rectangle?
No you cannot assume that the figure is a rectangle. See pic.

Image
Join the discussion

by mindful » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:31 am
Thought so! Thank you! :) Now what if BD was 2; and DC was 1. Does that change things at all?

My guess: No. All it tells me is that BC is Root 3, and the angles in Triangle BDC are 30-60-90 (with Angle DBC being 30, and so on). Can I deduce anything about angles in Triangle ADB, except that the sum of ANGLE ABD and ANGLE BDA is 90 degrees? Kindly enlighten.
Join the discussion

by theCEO » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:06 am
mindful wrote:Thought so! Thank you! :) Now what if BD was 2; and DC was 1. Does that change things at all?

My guess: No. All it tells me is that BC is Root 3, and the angles in Triangle BDC are 30-60-90 (with Angle DBC being 30, and so on). Can I deduce anything about angles in Triangle ADB, except that the sum of ANGLE ABD and ANGLE BDA is 90 degrees? Kindly enlighten.
Your reasoning is correct: it does not change anything and all we can say about the other triangle is that all the angles sum to 180 degrees :)!
Join the discussion

by Matt@VeritasPrep » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:12 pm
mindful wrote:Thought so! Thank you! :) Now what if BD was 2; and DC was 1. Does that change things at all?

My guess: No. All it tells me is that BC is Root 3, and the angles in Triangle BDC are 30-60-90 (with Angle DBC being 30, and so on). Can I deduce anything about angles in Triangle ADB, except that the sum of ANGLE ABD and ANGLE BDA is 90 degrees? Kindly enlighten.
Here's some visual confirmation of your suspicion: as you can see, all you're doing is grafting another right triangle on the hypotenuse of a 30-60-90.

Image
Join the discussion

by mindful » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:57 pm
Thanks everyone! :) The figures really clarify it all.
Join the discussion