BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Absolute Values and Equalities

Expert replies
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Wed Sep 30, 2015 3:13 am
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:00 am
Hi mindful,

Sometimes the easiest way to deal with a complex-looking situation is to just 'play around' with it a bit by TESTing VALUES. You might be surprised how quickly you can deduce a pattern if you just come up with a few examples.

You're essentially asking what values of X will fit the following equation:

|X-5| = 5-X

I'm going to ask you a few questions; see how long it takes you to answer them?

1) What do you 'know' about Absolute Values? What 'end results' are possible? What 'end results' are NOT?
2) What happens when X = 5?
3) What happens when X = 6 or 7 or 8?
4) What happens when X is LESS than 5? Come up with 3 examples (one positive, one 0 and one negative).

5) After working through the above examples, what deductions have you made about X?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion

by mindful » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:57 am
Thank you. That's a good suggestion about taking one positive, one negative, and 0 as a number. When I took -8 as a choice, I got positive 13 on both sides.

What bothers me is that the first time I attempted it algebraically. Why didn't I get an answer using that method.

I said: |x-5| = 5 - x

There are two possibilities:

x-5 = 5 - x
so 2x = 10
x = 5


OR

x-5 = x-5

x-x = -5+5

and I didn't really know what to do next.

The answer I got then was that both sides are equal if x = 5. But as we see the real answer is whenever x< or equal to 5, we get |x-5| as 5-x.

How can I do this algebraically?

Thanks...!
Join the discussion

by theCEO » Tue Oct 06, 2015 3:32 pm
mindful wrote:Thank you. That's a good suggestion about taking one positive, one negative, and 0 as a number. When I took -8 as a choice, I got positive 13 on both sides.

What bothers me is that the first time I attempted it algebraically. Why didn't I get an answer using that method.

I said: |x-5| = 5 - x

There are two possibilities:

x-5 = 5 - x
so 2x = 10
x = 5


OR

x-5 = x-5

x-x = -5+5

and I didn't really know what to do next.

The answer I got then was that both sides are equal if x = 5. But as we see the real answer is whenever x< or equal to 5, we get |x-5| as 5-x.

How can I do this algebraically?

Thanks...!
algebraically
|x-5|= 5-x
|x-5|>= 0, therefore 5-x >= 0

when is 5-x >= 0?
5-x >= 0
-x >= -5
x <= 5

Thefore |x-5| equal to 5-x when x<=5
Join the discussion

by mindful » Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:29 pm
Thank you, CEO. This is lovely!!! :)
Join the discussion