RD1 Profile Evaluation for Consulting

Launched September 22, 2008
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

RD1 Profile Evaluation for Consulting

by BWMBA89 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:57 pm
Hi all,

Please evaluate my profile to give me a better sense of where I should be focusing my applications in the upcoming cycle. My weak quant on the 710 has me worried, but I am hoping to offset that with finance ugrad and quant work history.

White male
GMAT: 710 (42Q, 47V) second attempt, 680 (45Q/38V) 1st attempt
GPA: 3.64, honors program

Ugrad: Large state school, finance major
Ugrad honors: Recipient of the most 'prestigious' ugrad business scholarship at the school following my freshman year: a full ride my sophomore, junior, and senior years based off of 'showing exceptional leadership potential'.... not sure how strong of an impact this will have on MBA apps

WE: 3yrs so far.. 2yrs BB Sales & Trading analyst at the BAML/Citi/Barclays tier in NYC (1yr credit derivative sales, 1yr structured products sales, and 1yr to present (after an internal promotion/transfer) working on business strategy for a new group that is a joint-venture between markets and the private bank. Lots of senior-level exposure in the new role and expect very solid recs.

Extra curricular: significant extra curriculars during undergrad and currently a financial counselor focused on helping families in the South Bronx build credit and avoid bankruptcy on top of being on a committee for Kiva Zip as a part of a Net Impact group.

Post-MBA goal: Consulting, long term strategic focus on non-profit consulting specifically with organizations focused on financial empowerment

I plan on applying to 2 from each of these categories:
Stretches: Kellogg, Dartmouth (they actually take highest of both my Q and V, so ~750 score), Wharton
Targets: UVA, Duke, Michigan, UCLA
Safety: UNC, Georgetown, Emory

Let me know your thoughts - any and all are greatly appreciated!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 am
Your plan, and schools, looks realistic. Your work experience might be on the lighter side for the very top schools, but if you have a good plan for Y consulting, and Y you want to pursue the MBA now, that may well compensate.

Also, make sure you do significant research on each of the schools you apply, so you can make that fit. If you navigate our site, our school profile pages, with all their resources, should be really helpful. good luck. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by BWMBA89 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:18 am
Alex - thank you for your help!

I have one random question that I have been unable to find the answer to so far if you are able to help further...

Study abroad transcript - I did not receive any credit for the courses taken abroad, and they are not factored into my GPA. On my transcript, for the semester it just says "international enrollment" with no further information at all. Long story short, it did not affect my undergrad track because I was already ahead in my studies. I have had difficulty getting the transcript from the partner institution, but I do believe there is one available. However, the grades from the classes are all mediocre while my overall ugrad GPA is 3.64.

My question is: is it worth trying to secure the transcript or writing about it in the optional essay? I'm sure adcoms will notice that there is a semester that just says "international enrollment", but I'm not sure if it is a red flag at all or not. If I am able to retrieve the transcript, how should I go about explaining that the credits did not transfer at all but I still had a terrific experience and actually did learn things while over there?

Sorry for the long-winded question but any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Alexbr@ClearAdmit » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:44 pm
I would address it, succinctly, in the optional essay. As you mention, your school transcript will signal to the adcom you went abroad, so you should have something in the application materials that covers that period of time. cheers, alex
New Book! Becoming a Clear Admit: The Definitive Guide to MBA Admissions. https://www.clearadmit.com/products/admi ... dmissions/