BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

3D Geometry Question

Expert replies
by student22 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:36 pm
In the figure, each side of square ABCD has length 1, the length of line segment CE is 1, and the length of line segment BE is equal to the length Of line segment DE. What is the area of the triangular region BCE?

A. 1/3
B. root(2)/4
C. 1/2
D. root(2)/2
E. 3/4

OA: B

I attached the figure in question:

Image

I'm having a really hard time visualizing this shape, let alone figuring out how to solve it. Is it some sort of pyramid? If it is, then basically it's asking me to solve for one of its faces. If that's the case, then it's telling you that a triangle that cuts through it in the middle is equilateral.

I'm completely lost with this problem and the only solutions I found were here:

https://www.urch.com/forums/gmat-problem ... n-bce.html

However, I couldn't really understand the steps involved. Can anyone help explain what this shape is, as well as the logic you would use to solve this problem. Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by student22 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:53 pm
I actually just found this topic on this post and the explanation makes alot of sense. For some reason I must've missed it when I googled the question the first time.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/area-of-tria ... html#62848

The problem was, that I was imagining a 3-Dimensional shape, when this was actually drawn on a 2-Dimensional plane. Crazy how these questions trick you.
Join the discussion

by kvcpk » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:49 pm
This is not so tricky a question if we know that the area of triangle is
(1/2)*a*b*sinC

Here the line CE is the angular bisector of the angle BCD, because triangles BCE and CDE are equivalent triangles.
So angle BCE = 90/2 = 45

now in triangle BCE, we know that BC =1, CE=1, angle BCE=45.
Therefore area=(1/2)*1*1*(sin45) = (1/2)*(1/root(2))=1/2(root(2))
Join the discussion

by student22 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:49 am
My problem with this question was visualizing what the shape was. I thought it was a pyramid when I first saw it, and I wasn't even sure if it had 3 faces or 4.

Once I saw from that explanation that the shape was actually 2-dimensional and that you could extend CE to the center of the square, it all became clear.
Join the discussion

by ceilidh.erickson » Wed Jun 10, 2015 5:45 am
Here are images of the 2 possible solutions:
Image

Image
Ceilidh Erickson
EdM in Mind, Brain, and Education
Harvard Graduate School of Education
Join the discussion