BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

positives and negatives

Expert replies
by [email protected] » Wed May 20, 2015 2:25 am
Each of the following equations has at least one solution EXCEPT


-2n = (-2)-n

2-n = (-2)n

2n = (-2)-n

(-2)n = -2n

(-2)-n = -2-n


I'm not clear on the answer given in the MGMAT book. Another way to explain would be very helpful.

Thanks!
B
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 20, 2015 3:17 am
The problem should read as follows:
Each of the following equations has at least one solution EXCEPT:

A. -(2^n) = (-2)^-n
B. 2^-n = (-2)^n
C. 2^n = (-2)^-n
D. (-2)^n = -(2^n)
E. (-2)^-n = -(2^-n)
For many test-takers, the most practical approach will be to eliminate the four answer choices that DO have at least one solution.
Values likely to work in a majority of the answer choices are n=0 and n=1.
Plug n=0 and n=1 into the answer choices:

A. -(2^n) = (-2)^-n
n=0:
-(2^0) = (-2)^-0
-1 = 1. Doesn't work.

n=1:
-(2^1) = (-2)^-1
-2 = -1/2. Doesn't work.
Hold onto A.

B. 2^-n = (-2)^n
n=0:
2^-0 = (-2)^0
1=1.
n=0 is a solution. Eliminate B.

C. 2^n = (-2)^-n
n=0:
2^0 = (-2)^-0
1=1.
n=0 is a solution. Eliminate C.

D. (-2)^n = -(2^n)
n=1:
(-2)^1 = -(2^1)
-2 = -2.
n=1 is a solution. Eliminate D.

E. (-2)^-n = -(2^-n)
n=1:
(-2)^(-1) = -(2^-1)
-1/2 = -1/2
n=1 is a solution. Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Wed May 20, 2015 6:41 am
Thank-you!

I get it now when using the number 1, but I am confused on the "0" being used to plug in for "n" on a, d, e. I thought anything to the power "0" is automatically 1? Even if it's a negative.
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Wed May 20, 2015 6:45 am
[email protected] wrote:Thank-you!

I get it now when using the number 1, but I am confused on the "0" being used to plug in for "n" on a, d, e. I thought anything to the power "0" is automatically 1? Even if it's a negative.
That's right: (any positive number)� = 1
AND (any negative number)� = 1

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Wed May 27, 2015 3:06 pm
Can you show me the answer choices with all of the numbers using n=1? I understand anything to the power of 0 = 1, but I don't understand a and c answer choices clearly and I thought I did. I just want to ensure this is 100% clear.

Thanks,
Bethany
Join the discussion

by GMATGuruNY » Wed May 27, 2015 3:36 pm
[email protected] wrote:Can you show me the answer choices with all of the numbers using n=1? I understand anything to the power of 0 = 1, but I don't understand a and c answer choices clearly and I thought I did. I just want to ensure this is 100% clear.

Thanks,
Bethany
If n=1 is plugged into the answer choices, we get:

A. -(2^n) = (-2)^-n
-(2^1) = (-2)^(-1)
-2 = -1/2.


B. 2^-n = (-2)^n
2^(-1) = (-2)^1
1/2 = -2.


C. 2^n = (-2)^-n
2^1 = (-2)^(-1)
2 = -1/2.


D. (-2)^n = -(2^n)
(-2)^1 = -(2^1)
-2 = -2.


E. (-2)^-n = -(2^-n)
(-2)^(-1) = -(2^-1)
-1/2 = -1/2.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3
Join the discussion