BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Divisibility and primes - Expert opinion

Expert replies
by [email protected] » Sun May 24, 2015 7:47 am
I'm really struggling on the divisibility and primes questions. Specifically, the wording of the questions. I fully understand how to factor, primes etc, and I understand the Manhattan GMAT chapter on it and did well on the practice questions, but when I get to the OG I can't wrap my head around the wording. A lot of the time I don't understand what they are asking and spend so much time trying to figure it out. For example question 127, 155


Needing expert help on how I can better understand (simple technique) and translate the question, as well as and any additional sources online that I can practice doing more questions.

Thank-you!
B
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by [email protected] » Sun May 24, 2015 8:59 am
Hi Beth,

I'd like to know more about the specific issue/problem that you're facing. Can you post any of the prompts that you're referring to AND go into more detail about where you get 'stuck' in the question?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Sun May 24, 2015 9:37 am
Hey Rich,
The issue is when I try read the question. I get confused at what they are asking, for example; If 3<x<100, for how many values of x is x/3 the square of a prime?

I don't know how to understand this, and quickly. I keep getting stuck on the wording and I am confused at what is being asked.

Or

If y is the smallest positive integer such that 3150 multiplied by y is the square of an integer, then y must be?

I read, reread and I am not clear on what the question is asking to begin with. This happens for multiple divisibility and prime questions. I keep getting frustrated at not being able to understand the prompt. I look at the answer and I get how they arrived at the numbers, but it's not clear on what the question was asking. Does that make sense? I may not be doing the best at explaining the issue...let me know if you need more examples.

Thanks for your help!
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun May 24, 2015 10:25 am
[email protected] wrote: If 3<x<100, for how many values of x is x/3 the square of a prime?
Here's one approach: https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-127-t276321.html

[email protected] wrote: If y is the smallest positive integer such that 3150 multiplied by y is the square of an integer, then y must be?
Several solutions here: https://qa.www.beatthegmat.com/factor-qu ... 70495.html


Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by theCEO » Sun May 24, 2015 10:35 am
Hi Beth,

At times I fall into the same spot. Here is what works for me. Break the problem up into smaller pieces as oppose to trying to do the problem as one whole for example

If 3<x<100, for how many values of x is x/3 the square of a prime?
I would start with x/3 the square of a prime
x/3 = (prime)^2
x = 3 (prime)^2

Then reanalyze the question
When is 3 < 3 (prime)^2 < 100 or
when is 1 < (prime)^2 < 33.3

This occurs when prime = 2,3,5, hence answer = 3
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Sun May 24, 2015 7:43 pm
Hi Beth,

Every question that you face on the GMAT can be broken down into pieces (much in the way that theCEO described). How YOU choose to break them down is up to you, but it helps to take notes and stay organized.

Here's how I'd approach your first example:

If 3<x<100, for how many values of x is x/3 the square of a prime?

Primes: 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, etc.
(Primes)^2: 4, 9, 25, 49, 121, etc.

X/3 = square of a prime, so X would equal...

4 --> X=12
9 --> X = 27
25 --> X = 75
49 --> X = 147 TOO BIG

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]
Image
Join the discussion

by nikhilgmat31 » Mon May 25, 2015 3:15 am
If y is the smallest positive integer such that 3150 multiplied by y is the square of an integer, then y must be?

First We need to find in factors of = sqrt ( 3150 *y) = sqrt(3*7*3*5*5*2*y)
to be able to find a perfect square root - y must be 7*2= 14

Ans: 14
Join the discussion

by theCEO » Mon May 25, 2015 5:14 am
nikhilgmat31 wrote:If y is the smallest positive integer such that 3150 multiplied by y is the square of an integer, then y must be?

First We need to find in factors of = sqrt ( 3150 *y) = sqrt(3*7*3*5*5*2*y)
to be able to find a perfect square root - y must be 7*2= 14

Ans: 14
Eventhough your answer is correct, the question asked for "square" and not "square root". Did you purposely meant to use "sqrt" in your solution?
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 25, 2015 6:44 am
[email protected] wrote: If y is the smallest positive integer such that 3150 multiplied by y is the square of an integer, then y must be?
Here's a similar question to practice with: https://www.beatthegmat.com/which-of-the ... 83100.html

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by nikhilgmat31 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:03 pm
answer asked for square of y so we did sqrt of 3150, Find prime factors of 3150 & make pairs.

integers not able to make pairs will be value of y.
Join the discussion