BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

Linear equation

Expert replies
by [email protected] » Sat May 09, 2015 7:15 am
Hello,

I am blanking out on this question. I got it before, but now I can;t figure out how I went through the steps to cancel the x's.

x(x-5x+6/x) =0

Looking for step by step approach.

Thanks!
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sat May 09, 2015 7:49 am
[email protected] wrote:Hello,

I am blanking out on this question. I got it before, but now I can;t figure out how I went through the steps to cancel the x's.

x(x-5x+6/x) =0

Looking for step by step approach.

Thanks!
Are you sure the equation is x(x- 5x + 6/x)?
I have a feeling it's supposed to be x(x - 5 + 6/x)
This is the equation I'll solve.

General idea: If (something)(other thing) = 0, then something = 0 or other thing = 0

So, if x(x - 5 + 6/x) = 0, then x = 0 or x - 5 + 6/x = 0
So, IT SEEMS that we now have at least one solution: x = 0
HOWEVER, in the second part of the equation, we have 6/x. Here, if x = 0, then 6/x is undefined.
So, x cannot equal zero.

What about the equation x - 5 + 6/x = 0?
Let's first eliminate the fraction by multiplying both sides by x to get: x² - 5x + 6 = 0
Factor to get: (x - 2)(x - 3) = 0
This means that x - 2 = 0 or x - 3 = 3
If x - 2 = 0, then x = 2
If x - 3 = 0, then x = 3

So, there are 2 possible values of x that satisfy the equation: x = 2 and x = 3

Cheers,
Brent
Last edited by Brent@GMATPrepNow on Mon May 11, 2015 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion

by Aman verma » Sat May 09, 2015 7:52 am
[email protected] wrote:Hello,

I am blanking out on this question. I got it before, but now I can;t figure out how I went through the steps to cancel the x's.

x(x-5x+6/x) =0

Looking for step by step approach.

Thanks!
Hello [email protected],

x=0 will not be a solution to this quadratic,since, division by zero is not admissible.Now, simplify as follows:-
x(-4x^2 + 6)/x=0
The x in the numerator and denominator gets cancelled, so that we are left with:-4x^2+ 6=0
or, 4x^2=6
or, x^2=3/2
or, x= +/-(3/2)^1/2
Check, both the roots obtained, by plugging in the original equation. Both roots are valid!
800. Arjun's-Bird-Eye
Join the discussion

by [email protected] » Sun May 10, 2015 7:19 am
You are correct, Brent! Sorry - I added an extra x...thanks for correcting and answering the question. I'm clear now:)

Thanks again,
B
Join the discussion

by Aman verma » Mon May 11, 2015 1:27 am
[email protected] wrote:You are correct, Brent! Sorry - I added an extra x...thanks for correcting and answering the question. I'm clear now:)

Thanks again,
B
Even if we remove the extra x, x=0 cannot be a valid solution for the quadratic,since division by zero is undefined. After removing the extra x, we have:-
x(x-5+6/x)=0
or, (x-2)(x-3)=0
or, x=3 or x=2
So, there are 2 possible values of x that satisfy the equation: x=2 and x=3.
Zero is not a valid solution in this equation!
800. Arjun's-Bird-Eye
Join the discussion

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Mon May 11, 2015 6:17 am
Aman verma wrote:
[email protected] wrote:You are correct, Brent! Sorry - I added an extra x...thanks for correcting and answering the question. I'm clear now:)

Thanks again,
B
Even if we remove the extra x, x=0 cannot be a valid solution for the quadratic,since division by zero is undefined. After removing the extra x, we have:-
x(x-5+6/x)=0
or, (x-2)(x-3)=0
or, x=3 or x=2
So, there are 2 possible values of x that satisfy the equation: x=2 and x=3.
Zero is not a valid solution in this equation!
Good catch, Aman.
I edited my response accordingly.

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com
Image
Join the discussion