BREAKING: Target Test Prep releases Brand New 2026 On Demand GMAT prep course

Redeem

Target Test Prep · GMAT

Choose how you want to prepare

Learn live with an expert or move at your own pace. Every option includes the complete TTP study system.

★★★★★5.0559 reviews
GMATLiveTeach Starts Oct 17
Chris Peckover, Target Test Prep GMAT expert
LIVE ONLINE CLASSES

Get Ready for GMAT Test Day Faster with Live Online Classes

with Chris Peckover, 100th-Percentile GMAT Scorer

Oct 17 · Chris Peckover
Sat · 11:00 AM to 2:00 PM ET
Oct 20 · Chris Peckover
Tue, Thu · 8:00 to 10:00 PM ET
Oct 25 · Josh Braslow
Sun · 1:00 to 4:00 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes + 6 months of TTP OnDemand
  • Attend the first class for free
  • Every class is recorded, so you never fall behind
View classes & enroll
Limited seats availableTarget Test Prep
EALiveTeachOnDemand 5 seats left Start anytime
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Target Test Prep EA OnDemand

Self-paced EA prep. Study on your schedule.

Logan Thompson
EXECUTIVE ASSESSMENT

Sep 6 to Dec 6, 2026

with Logan Thompson

165+ EA score guarantee
$05-day trial no automatic billing
Schedule
Sun · 9:30 AM to 12:30 PM ET
Included
40 hours of live online classes plus six months of access to the complete TTP EA OnDemand course.
  • 165+ EA Score Guarantee
  • 4,100+ Quant, Verbal, and Integrated Reasoning practice questions
  • 400+ hours of in-depth video lessons
  • 3,000+ step-by-step video solutions
View EA class & enroll Start free 5-day trial
Limited cohort · enrollment openTrial includes full course accessTarget Test Prep
GMATOnDemand Start anytime
SELF-PACED MASTERCLASS

Target Test Prep GMAT OnDemand

Complete access from day one. Study on your schedule.

715+ score guarantee
$0to start then $127/mo
  • Personalized study plan and analytics
  • Thousands of lessons and practice questions

Compare the format, schedule, and included access before enrolling. Prices and seat counts shown reflect the supplied offer details.

What am I doing wrong here?

Expert replies
by Ilikemeat321 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 8:15 am
I can't link the Polygons but you can probably figure it out what it looks like? If not, can someone show me how to link screenshots?

here's the question:

ABCD has an area equal to 28. BC is parallel to AD. BA is perpendicular to AD. IF BC is 6 and AD is 8, then what is CD?

A. 2√ 2
B. 2√ 3
C. 4
D.2√ 5
E.6

mysolution was:

to find a right triangle first

Find the altitude which is BA or AB (however you want to call it)
Find the Base would be AD- BC
Then find CD

to find the Altitude

Area=28 for a rectangle, side L= 8(given AD) Altitude = 3.5

Since BC is parallel to AD my base for the triangle would be 8-6=2

now I have base + altitude I get

3.5^2+2^2=CD

16.25=cd? I do not see this answer can someone tell me which step is wrong?
Join the discussion
Source: — Problem Solving |

Re: What am I doing wrong here?

by Ian Stewart » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:00 am
Ilikemeat321 wrote: ABCD has an area equal to 28. BC is parallel to AD. BA is perpendicular to AD. IF BC is 6 and AD is 8, then what is CD?

A. 2? 2
B. 2? 3
C. 4
D.2? 5
E.6

mysolution was:

to find a right triangle first

Find the altitude which is BA or AB (however you want to call it)
Find the Base would be AD- BC
Then find CD

to find the Altitude

Area=28 for a rectangle, side L= 8(given AD) Altitude = 3.5

Since BC is parallel to AD my base for the triangle would be 8-6=2

now I have base + altitude I get

3.5^2+2^2=CD

16.25=cd? I do not see this answer can someone tell me which step is wrong?
I hope I'm understanding the picture correctly. I think there are two errors in the above- the area, 28, is the area not just of the rectangular portion of the quadrilateral; it also includes the triangular portion. Let's call the height (the length of AB) 'h'. We can divide the picture into a rectangle, with a base of 6, and a right angled triangle, with a base of 2. We know that the area of the rectangle plus the area of the triangle is 28:

6*h + 2*h/2 = 28
7*h = 28
h = 4

You've also left off a square (^2) on the right side of the Pythagorean formula at the end of your solution. If we use h = 4, and b = 2 for the right angled triangle, we should have:

CD^2 = 4^2 + 2^2
CD^2 = 20
CD = root(20) = 2*root(5)
For online GMAT math tutoring, or to buy my higher-level Quant books and problem sets, contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

ianstewartgmat.com
Join the discussion

Re: What am I doing wrong here?

by Ilikemeat321 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:55 am
Ian Stewart wrote:
Ilikemeat321 wrote: ABCD has an area equal to 28. BC is parallel to AD. BA is perpendicular to AD. IF BC is 6 and AD is 8, then what is CD?

A. 2? 2
B. 2? 3
C. 4
D.2? 5
E.6

mysolution was:

to find a right triangle first

Find the altitude which is BA or AB (however you want to call it)
Find the Base would be AD- BC
Then find CD

to find the Altitude

Area=28 for a rectangle, side L= 8(given AD) Altitude = 3.5

Since BC is parallel to AD my base for the triangle would be 8-6=2

now I have base + altitude I get

3.5^2+2^2=CD

16.25=cd? I do not see this answer can someone tell me which step is wrong?
I hope I'm understanding the picture correctly. I think there are two errors in the above- the area, 28, is the area not just of the rectangular portion of the quadrilateral; it also includes the triangular portion. Let's call the height (the length of AB) 'h'. We can divide the picture into a rectangle, with a base of 6, and a right angled triangle, with a base of 2. We know that the area of the rectangle plus the area of the triangle is 28:

6*h + 2*h/2 = 28
7*h = 28
h = 4

You've also left off a square (^2) on the right side of the Pythagorean formula at the end of your solution. If we use h = 4, and b = 2 for the right angled triangle, we should have:

CD^2 = 4^2 + 2^2
CD^2 = 20
CD = root(20) = 2*root(5)
Thanks I got it! I when 28= 8 * L I forgot that it will include an extra right triangle in there.
Join the discussion

by zhrmghg » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:07 pm
i suggest you to go on :)
Join the discussion

by artistocrat » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:45 am
You guys are making this far too difficult. The question is what is the height when we know the area of a trapezoid. The area of a trapezoid is (b1+b2)H/2, where Height (H) is the unknown. (8+6)H/2=28. H=4
Join the discussion