[GMAT 720, Q48,V40]- My harrowing experience

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:720
Hi,

I just cracked the GMAT sterday after a day long struggle. Got a 720 with Q48 and V40 and 95th percentile. And here's my unique and harrowing experience at the center.
I had my exam scheduled at the Chennai PPC center for 09:00AM on 27-08-2008. Reached the center at 08:00 AM. There was one other guy waiting to take the test. The admin person told that there were power problems in the building and cannot confirm whether we would have the test in the morning session or not. We waited till 09:30 and suddenly the power gen worked and we started the test. Time was 09:45 AM. I completed all the formalities and the essays as well. They were pretty easy and as luck would have it, they were some topics which i had seen earlier. I didnt take the break and started on quants. Questions were very easy and i breezed through. After the 10th odd question, the gen stopped and there was no other source and we had to stop. After 20 mins, the power came back and we started again. I breezed through the questions and at the 30th question, there was a scheduled power cut and since there was no diesel in the gen, we had to stop the test. This time, the wait was for 1.30 hrs. We then started the test again at 12:20PM. When we started, for the other 2 persons who wrote along with me, it worked. But for me, the application gave a decryption error. They tried again and again, but in vain. They called up US support center for PPC Vue and they told tried and failed. They gave me an option of rescheduling or write the exam the same day once again. I had to wait for some time till the power came back. They rescheduled the exam for 05:30 PM. But allowed me to start the exam as soon as the power came back. They then downloaded the exam for me again and after the initial formalities(photograph, vein scanner etc), i went in and started the exam. The same error popped up on the screen. Imagine my plight. Then the admin called up malaysia support and they rectified the problem. Once again, i had to endure the initial formalities and i started the exam. This time, there were no power problems. But the math this time was difficult. I had to guess most of the questions. Then i started the verbal. Verbal was somewat difficult. Finally finished the test and clicked the final submit button expecting a 600 score because of my quants fumble. But to my utter surprise, a 720 came up on the screen. 48 Q - i cudnt believe my eyes. Even though i went into the test expecting a 740-760, considering my very bad experience before the exam, i think this score is very good. I didnt even have lunch and the first morsel of food i could have after my breakfast at 09:30 in the night. Phew, what an experience.

During my practice tests, i scored a 760 in prep1, 720 in prep 2, 720 in princeton1, 680 in princeton 2, 700 in princeton 3 and 740 in princeton4.
i couldnt attempt anyother test.

Please tell me if this score is ok. I would have been happy if i had got a 740 or more. And maybe a 45 in verbal.
But all's well that ends well.

Thanks for this wonderful forum and all the members who have been helping the people in need of solutions and explanations. BTG has helped me by boosting my confidence levels and by providing the solutions to most of the problems for which i needed help.

Thanks once again.
Sorry for this long post.

-Mouli

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amitdgr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:36 pm
Man !!!! You should sue these people for making you go through all this !!

Your experience scares the hell out of me ... I will be taking the GMAT in OCT in chennai

I am not an expert here but based on extensive reading and discussions, i feel 720 is a great score and you should rather spend your valuable time on your application and essays ...

My $ 0.02

ATB
Last edited by amitdgr on Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit my blog Gmat Tips and Strategies

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by GMATOct08 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:38 pm
what an experience! good that you managed to score well inspite of this horrible experience. Kudos to your endurance. Congratulations on your score. 720 should be sufficient. Rest all depends on your GPA, work-ex & essays.

I heard from two other people who took the test in Chennai about similar power problem. I am also in Chennai. I have not scheduled my exam yet. Now I am seriously thinking of taking the exam in someother center.

by chandramouli » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:18 pm
@GMATOct08

I came to know from them that this issue was due to PPC staying in a rented place. In october, they would be moving to their own building where they neednt depend on common gen sources. So, i think, after october, things should be smooth.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:44 pm
720 is a great score after what u went thru !

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by soque » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:18 am
Wow! 720 with that experience. However, it sounds like if you retook the test you could easily increase your score to a 740!

by chandramouli » Fri Aug 29, 2008 2:29 am
@soque

I also thought the same way. But many say that there's not much of a diff between a 720 and 740 (and 740 and 780 either :) )
So, havent given it a serious thought.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Fri Aug 29, 2008 3:00 am
I've been hearing bad reports of chennai GMAT test centre. Check the thread in 'lounge' area about one more incident... I'd suggest all Madrasis to straightaway change their exam centre to other city like Hydrabad or Banglore. :?

This is ridiculous & I feel sorry for you, though I must say you've great stamina & you scored amazingly well!!

... there's certainly some difference btn 720 & 780 ;)

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by missionmba » Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:36 am
Kudos !!!!!

Wow!!! amazing !!!

After all this you still managed to get 720. My god :)

It seems that have a good concentration and focus.

Had i been in a situation like that i woulg have started shouting on those test centre people :D

GMAC takes $250 for the test.

I think you should write to GMAC and ask for a refund.
Mission Mba

Everyone has a will to win but very few have the will to prepare to win

by i.dreem » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:54 am
hey chandramouli,

Hats Off to u... after such a harrowing experience.. u maintained ur cool and patience and got a good score.

i think u shud call up GMAC or write to them and explain them the hell u passed thru on the test day. I am not sure if they can compensate u for the pain but atleast they shud know what u endured and sure it wud help GMAC to take care of such things in future (hopefully)

Again, congrats for the good score.

-i.dreem

by chandramouli » Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:03 pm
@i-dreem

Thanks pal. And one thing. Hopefully is more often than not, considered un-idiomatic in GMAT. :wink:

by i.dreem » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:57 pm
@-chandramouli

yeah... "it is hoped" is preferred over "hopefully". ! my gmat starts 48 hours from now. :-)

by chandramouli » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:05 pm
All the best dude for ur exam.

by i.dreem » Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:40 pm
thanx buddy

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by arunmmw » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:00 am
Even i had the same experience in chennai. Hope october exam takers would have better exam center.
Regards
Arun